Real Madrid (A) | CL | Post Match Thread

Have to say if I could sign one player in World football it would be Vinicius Jr. What an absolute superstar, I normally love watching him play, last night was giving me chest pains every time he got on the ball. Full of pace skill and effort.

Brilliant winger, if he ever gets sick of being racially abused in Spain and fancies Manchester I'd pay whatever the cost.

Just goes to show Phillip Walter Foden was ‘world class’ before last night.
Correct,and some of his past performances in the Champions league have somehow gone under the radar..v psg few seasons back springs to mind.
Watching YT clips from two years ago and I caught Rio Ferdinand and lescott both purring over his performance ,both saying world class, and Southgate just has to find a place for him at centre mid...then along came bellendham...and of course the great 18 match wonder kid mainoo. At least Henderson doesn't get a look in nowadays....bonus.

Still Taylor should have booked 6 or 7 of em, because he didn’t it carried on

Point taken, but the difference, I think, is that the Arsenal players should have been yellow carded in the first instance, then a second yellow if necessary. In what I saw, at least two or three of Atlético's players could, and arguably should, have received straight reds and off. I still can't work out what the ref and his linos thought they were watching.

Correct,and some of his past performances in the Champions league have somehow gone under the radar..v psg few seasons back springs to mind.
Watching YT clips from two years ago and I caught Rio Ferdinand and lescott both purring over his performance ,both saying world class, and Southgate just has to find a place for him at centre mid...then along came bellendham...and of course the great 18 match wonder kid mainoo. At least Henderson doesn't get a look in nowadays....bonus.
It’s amazing that the fact that Phil started on the bench for the final last season is being used as evidence he was not yet world class.

There are many, many reasons a player—even a world class player—may not start in a final. The prime among them being you can only field 11 players, and with a team like ours, that usually means at least one (or more) world class talents are going to be on the bench.

Walker and Mahrez started on the bench but no one in their right mind would say “that’s specifically an indication they aren’t world class”.

Since Bellingham came along and had a half-season purple patch everyone just seems to be trying to redefine what “world class” is so he fits the bill and Phil, who has consistently performed at the highest possible level of football for several years (not just 6 months), does not.

It’s laughable, but I suppose not surprising given the quality of punditry in England (and Spain).

By giving a yellow card very early to the Real Madrid player — straight off the bat, no warning, the way it should be most of the time — the ref stopped much (but by no means all) of Real's fouling. I couldn't help thinking if the same had been done to those thugs of Atlético for that first bodily assault on Kev, it would have been a better match and we would have won it more conclusively.

One of the small disappointments last night was Foden not going down when Camavinga dragged his foot down his heel. That was a yellow card and he'd also have missed the game next week.

You're right though, it reminded those on a yellow they were walking a tight rope. I do think it helped that so many of their players were a yellow from suspension. They could have tried to get our players booked, but then they'd set the benchmark and we'd do the same back only much more costly for them.

The ref was very good last night. Let a lot of things go, which I hadn't expected at the Bernabeu.

I think most of our first half issues came down to both Bernie and Rodri uncharacteristically repeatedly making poor decisions and executing poorly on the decent ones. Rodri gave away the ball through poor passes more in that half than he likely did in total over the course of last season (and was out of position for several RM attacks) and Bernie continued to try to dribble through the RM press instead of leveraging triangle advancement (which is not only our normal mode of attacking but a much safer way to go about it), often losing the ball with his back to their goal. Both setup most of the RM counters we saw.

This isn’t heavy criticism, this is just an acknowledgement of what occurred.

Any side in the world is going to struggle when their DM (and arguably their most important player) and the player given the most expansive ‘possession & progression’ role are struggling to retain the ball, often due to bad decision making.

They both tightened that up substantially in the second half and, along with several other tweaks, we actually asserted ourselves over RM much more regularly and authoritatively.

I agree with many analyses of late that a lot of our defensive woes this season comes down to our forward play not necessarily being as fluid as it was last year, which puts more pressure on Rodri and our back four.

Fortunately for us, apart from the last few matches, Rodri has largely been able to compensate.

But now that we are in the latter part of the season, and Rodri’s fitness is being stretched, we are going to need to find ways to help him, especially against sides like Arsenal and RM, who like to press centrally and exploit the wings on the counter.

I agree with the Bernardo & Rodri points - it was so frustrating to watch at times and I did worry they would add a third before it was sorted out. Stones was probably the tidiest of the defence and midfield in the first half.

Rodri looks in dire need of a rest, which is likely at the weekend. Longer term, I'd hope Nunes can be developed to give us the legs in midfield next to a more controlling player. It's the change of pace he brings. Foden has scored so many goals from the top of the box recently when we push teams back in, it's whether a late arriving player could also exploit this too.

Just never had a settled team this season to get the new players up to speed.

Have to say if I could sign one player in World football it would be Vinicius Jr. What an absolute superstar, I normally love watching him play, last night was giving me chest pains every time he got on the ball. Full of pace skill and effort.

Brilliant winger, if he ever gets sick of being racially abused in Spain and fancies Manchester I'd pay whatever the cost.
Him and Rodrygo were a nightmare when the ball broke and they countered. The big takeaway is we went to the Bernebau without a fit Kdb and Walker with Ederson sat on the bench and didn’t cave in. As a team they have matured from the one two years ago which let a lead slip in the dying moments of a game. Real couldn’t get a two goal lead against us last night and then crumpled when their tactics stopped working. It shows how far we have come when they are gutted with a three all draw and are shitting it coming to the Etihad next week.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.