Give me a lifetime of promises and a world of dreams
Speak a language of love like you know what it means
MMm, and it can't be wrong
Take my heart and make it strong, baby

You're simply the best
Better than all the rest
Better than anyone
Anyone I've ever met

I think it’s very hard to judge if this team is better than 2011 Barca because it’s just a different beast.

I think Pep’s Barca would get chopped to pieces playing in the Premier League against the likes of Stoke and Burnley every week. They’d probably still win of course but defending against the long ball, injuries and the higher intensity needed could have cost them 10-15pts a season versus their form in Spain.

I reckon Pep learned early on that the pinnacle Premier League team and the pinnacle La Liga team need to have different qualities. This City team is like the Darwinian evolution of that Barca team, adapted perfectly for its environment. We’re like two finches on different islands in the Galapagos. As you say, we have that athletic, commanding style with the right balance of mercurial. That Barca team was mercurial on steroids.

The drawback has been that our style is less well-suited to European ventures where the trade-off of physicality for skill makes less sense. But Pep has tinkered with that balance, brought in new elements like the false full back and I think since 2021 we realistically have been the best team in Europe by practically all measures (except for the most important one). Now we are seeing the summit, a team that is virtually perfect in form - bottled lightning. We just need to go out once more and etch it into history.

Very good post,Blue

I think it’s very hard to judge if this team is better than 2011 Barca because it’s just a different beast.

I think Pep’s Barca would get chopped to pieces playing in the Premier League against the likes of Stoke and Burnley every week. They’d probably still win of course but defending against the long ball, injuries and the higher intensity needed could have cost them 10-15pts a season versus their form in Spain.

I reckon Pep learned early on that the pinnacle Premier League team and the pinnacle La Liga team need to have different qualities. This City team is like the Darwinian evolution of that Barca team, adapted perfectly for its environment. We’re like two finches on different islands in the Galapagos. As you say, we have that athletic, commanding style with the right balance of mercurial. That Barca team was mercurial on steroids.

The drawback has been that our style is less well-suited to European ventures where the trade-off of physicality for skill makes less sense. But Pep has tinkered with that balance, brought in new elements like the false full back and I think since 2021 we realistically have been the best team in Europe by practically all measures (except for the most important one). Now we are seeing the summit, a team that is virtually perfect in form - bottled lightning. We just need to go out once more and etch it into history.

Really good post and I agree. I also think that Pep has also added the intensity of his Bayern team in to the mix at City. Whilst they never hit the heights Barca did, they had an aggression and physicality that is a key feature of our current side.

People can talk all they want about the money he has spent, but the tactics and ability to build and rebuild title winning teams so consistently, whilst managing the egos and personalities of top players is incredible. He's a genius and it's a privilege to have him as our manager.

I want to watch that first half again. Anyone know of anywhere where I can watch it all back? I didn’t record it through fear of jinxing it!

Had to try and watch via streaming on a train. So loads of buffering and drop outs and only caught the Akanji goal live.
But 2 things came across, even with crap slow streaming, the football was devastatingly beautiful - if Charleze Theron was a Terminator this is what it would look like, and the crowd and atmosphere were just spectacular. Well done all blues who were there, you added to one of the greatest ever City performances. I watched a full replay when I got home until 3 am and was just open mouthed.
Get it done!

I want to watch that first half again. Anyone know of anywhere where I can watch it all back? I didn’t record it through fear of jinxing it!
It's available behind the spoiler below. Not sure something like this site should be shared on an open forum but that's the wisest option

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.