Reality check

B\connellblue

treatment room with the rest of the crocks
We're not as good as we were two years ago. When we cut a swath through everything that was placed before us. Even our first champions league effort when for the first 20 minutes in munich we should have been 2 up. Sure this was the night of the infamous tevez incident but I'm sure most on her would agree we were a team to be be feared, now we're a shadow of that side.

The men that started on that infamous night.

Hart ; Richards , K Toure , Kompany , Clichy ; Nasri , Y Toure , Barry , Silva, Aguero , Dzeko .
The subs (Milner 69 (De Jong 55 ) (Kolarov 73 )

Arguably we're stronger now so can anyone explain to me what the fuck is wrong?
For those who think we never played with a midfield 2 under Bobby take a look at that starting line up!

Three dim performances in a row even though not a lot has changed.

I get fed up with the 'stoke city away' excuse year in year out. Last four seasons a draw away from home and the excuse that they play hard at a small ground with noisy fans. This is not good enough, a strong squad with world class internationals should settle in after 30 minutes and silence the crowd, top sides can do this.

The excuse players come out with at the end of a draw at this ground just are not good enough, be counted for and display better rather than look for excuses at the end of the game.

Take the game and work harder !

Even when we won the league 2 yrs ago we did it on goal difference I wouldn't say we plowed through everyone... But I just feel like the players don't care or don't know what to do. We seem so many times to rely on 1 or 2 players to do the magic and when that doesn't work we are clueless.

B\connellblue said:
We're not as good as we were two years ago. When we cut a swath through everything that was placed before us. Even our first champions league effort when for the first 20 minutes in munich we should have been 2 up. Sure this was the night of the infamous tevez incident but I'm sure most on her would agree we were a team to be be feared, now we're a shadow of that side.

Hart ; Richards , K Toure , Kompany , Clichy ; Nasri , Y Toure , Barry , Silva, Aguero , Dzeko .

For those who think we never played with a midfield 2 under Bobby take a look at that starting line up!

We were a bit new under new ownership but the novalty has warn off.

You have to keep changing and adapting to keep ahead of the pack.

Some players individually appear to look the goods but given some degree of success its more than enough for them.

You could put a good case I reckon that every one of that starting lineup in differing degrees are non grafters and don't have what it takes when the things get a bit tough or when you have to climb a bigger mountain that's put in front of them.

We have been found out and MP has found it very difficult albeit early days to adjust to the ever changing needs of the premiership.

Unless we adapt we will have a very difficult year in the premiership and another short time in Europe.

RM's tenure was coming to an end and he didn't want to or lacked the skill set to adapt although his winning attitude and man management style was needed after the Hughes era which told us he will never be a successful manager at a club capable of challenging for titles etc but it runs it course sooner or later.

Its probably not a detailed or susinct explanation of what a side like Norwich or Hull even have no fear coming to our place and certainly have the confidence in their own side that they can turn us over on their patch now but some sides don't have that culture of fear of losing.

I doubt our club and our players have that fear of losing and will do anything that the come out on top or at least make it known to the opposition that they will have to go to hell and back to get anything from a game against us.

The players in the main take a loss or a poor performance in their stride and it doesn't effect them in the same way it does a passionate supporter that wants and demands the best week in week out.

Despite what many may think , clubs like Arsenal , Liverpool , Manure , Chelsea , Everton , Tottenham from top to bottom when all the factors are taken into consideration are better run than we are at present in terms of that culture

The good news is we have the clout to change that and it can change quickly for the better but you have to build a winning culture from top to bottom.

The people that appoint the manager and are responsible for getting in the players that thrive on a winning culture and want more success the more they get like good sex are critical in that process.

Whats gone wrong you ask?

The people responsible for these decisions should ask themselves if they are up to the job?

trevorriley said:

I get fed up with the 'stoke city away' excuse year in year out. Last four seasons a draw away from home and the excuse that they play hard at a small ground with noisy fans. This is not good enough, a strong squad with world class internationals should settle in after 30 minutes and silence the crowd, top sides can do this.

The excuse players come out with at the end of a draw at this ground just are not good enough, be counted for and display better rather than look for excuses at the end of the game.

You have to have some degree of hope that this is about as bad as it gets for us this year.

You would think and hope that MP and the players will get their act together sooner rather than later.

If not its going to be year to quickly forget about.

You want players that are prepared to do anything for maximum effort and outcome each game and I am currently very unsure we have the right mix of players and management that really have that mental application and desire for sustained success.

mancity1 said:
trevorriley said:

You have to have some degree of hope that this is about as bad as it gets for us this year.

You would think and hope that MP and the players will get their act together sooner rather than later.

If not its going to be year to quickly forget about.

You want players that are prepared to do anything for maximum effort and outcome each game and I am currently very unsure we have the right mix of players and management that really have that mental application and desire for sustained success.

I agree. I get the feeling the players arn't really up for it at the moment. Im hoping when Vinny comes back it gives the team a lift.

you want the truth? YOU WANT THE TRUTH?! I DON'T THINK YOUR READY FOR THE F**KING TRUTH!

The gaping difference in these teams is a 5ft 10 dutchman who played an instrumental role in the dressing room and of course the goal winning play that beat qpr and changed history. Damn do I miss De Jong.

Ill post this in this thread I think it makes more sense here:
MillionDollarDream said:
Here's the thing I've read through about 30 pages and I've yet to see anyone describe what Pellegrini's actual tactics are and why doesn't seem to work well with our players.

Pellegrini's Malaga side all last season lined up in 4-2-3-1, here he seems to be trying a standard English 4-4-2 that's something off the bat I find strange as I was almost certain he would be playing a 4-3-2-1.

In his 4-2-3-1 it would often look like 4-2-2-2 and 4-2-4 very quickly off the counter, our team hasn't shown that type of firepower since the Newcastle game. The team is forcing many long balls and are looking more like an old Stoke side instead of a Pellegrini side. Our midfield needs to be pushing the the ball up faster and moving into space versus just playing the long pass. Fernandinho is very key to this point as he is more than capable of fulfilling this duty. Toure I feel needs to be rested as I feel his poor form is due to being burnt out. The 2 in front of the Back 4 should be Fernandinho/Milner.

The 3 behind the striker should be Jovetić/Silva/Navas. All very quick, creative and will all be able to push the attack with them in their roles in addition to Fernandinho running from box to box and Milner being able to help the back 4 and be the link to the attacking 4.

Negredo should be the main striker with the combo of his size/strength/skill and pace which when put together makes him the best possible target FROM JUMP in this formation, if Dzeko happens to up his level he can also fit but he has to be a little better on the ball.

The ideal line up with all things consider would be:

Hart
Zabaleta/Kompany/Nastasic/Clichy
Fernandinho/Milner
Jovetić/Silva/Navas
Negredo

Of course rotation and form will be key but these are the players I feel are most likely to pick up what Pellegrini wants/needs out of his team if he actually goes back to what he knows instead of what I believe is over thinking as in what I encounter a lot, a lot of Engineers do.

4-4-2 is not a Pellegrini formation this is why are team isn't playing well, in the first 4 games we are looking like when Mancini took what work and won him the title and started tinkering with 3-5-2 except Mancini actually worked with that formation before. This season we have a manager and his players all trying to adapt to very new situations in multiple areas. So people have every right to be concerned and pointing out all the flaws.

Of course nobody can plan for what happen to Pellegrini's family, the rash of injuries, and the international break certainly doesn't help, Pellegrini just hasn't had as much time to really locked down everything with a completely new system even with what looks like a "soft" schedule. Only Arsenal can say they have a lot of key pieces sitting in the training room.

As long as we started to phase out YAYA. we will be fine in the end. it must be done sooner or later

B\connellblue said:

Multiple reasons:
1. Our best player is out: Kompany- And while it is arguable whether or not he is the individual best player (Hart, Yaya, Silva and Aguero have their supporters) what is not arguable, is the drop in talent behind him. CD wise, the drop in talent from Kompany to Nasty/Lescott/Garcia is HUGE. This makes us unstable when he is out. Our fullbacks are less adventorous, and we are unable to start any attacks from deep as all our other CDs constantly shy away from advancing the ball. Vertonghen!!! Vertonghen!! Vertonghen! I said it 2 years ago, we would suffer for failing to sign him when he was practically begging to move to the Prem :( Now we have no one close football talent wise to Kompany.

2. We are bedding new players: Alvie, Navas, Jovy and Dihno- It takes time for these guys to get a feel for the Prem's speed, and also their teammates movements. Jovy simply couldn't link up correctly with Nasri today. Even though both showed individual ability to move off the ball well. But it broke down often in the final third. Same can be said of Dihno in his 2 appearances. His hustle is good, but his link up is still pedestrian and slow. Alvie seems to be catching on faster than the other 3. Even Navas is often confused as he is not getting runs he expects, and some he doesn't expect are occurring.

3. Our best players are not on there best form: Hart was error prone early, and his distribution continues to be attrocious, Kompany is injured, Aguero is subpar, Silva is subpar, and Yaya is less influential and more withdrawn. Our eventual success will only come if these 5 get going. If they don't we will struggle all season.

4. Some of our non star players are criminally underperforming. The biggest culprit has been Zaba. He's defending has been subpar, and his runs up the field suddenly lacks the confidence of the first game. Perhaps it is due to an unsettled defense lethargy or just rusty start. If Zaba doesn't get back to last season's form, then Micah would have to duct tape his glass knees or else we will not have a good season.

5. Tactically we are being inferior: 442 against a 5 man midfield leaves us criminally outnumbered in midfield, and leaves 2 strikers with nothing to do most game. We need to switch to a five man midfield so we can compete. We need a settle back 2 and a roving attacking 3 that interchanges positions constantly. This is the key we are missing. We are so stagnant positionally, that any team finds it easy to defend us.

6. Our personell is grossly overrated: To be exceptional this season, we need to have fullbacks who can provide width an offense down the line: In Clichy and Kolarov we are guaranteed absolutely little on the left. Clichy cant cross, and Kolarov isn't very intelligent with the ball. On the right, Micah can't stay healthy, and Zab is in a funk. So movement on the line is limited, and when teams drop 8 or 9 back we are unable to break them down with 3 midfielders.

7. Our personell and our philosophy isn't fully in sync. As it stands now, we are reliant on individual brilliance and little team play. Our team simply carries too many players who are unable to play the quick simple passing game. Same problem as last season. Here are your players who fit the team: Kompany, Zab (on form), Yaya, Silva, Nasri, Aguero. There is evidence suggesting Jovetic and Demechelis fit this mould. But will have to see. The others don't. Sure they bring other great qualities, but they are not free passing players. There are supposedly inferior players all over the league who might do a better job for us offensively than what we currently have.

Hopefully, when everyone is healthy, we'd have enough individual brilliance to mask the friction between style and personell.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.