Recommend Me An Album

R.E.M. - Part Lies, Part Heart, Part Truth, Part Garbage, 1982 - 2011

borassic said:
shackattack said:
Walkbustaxi said:
I stayed away from the Favourite Album thread but this has to be up there in my top 3 or 5.
Bought it on vinyl the week it came out, took me forever to get into it but when I was in, I was in. Seriously a lost classic.
have to agree, would also add waterpistol but am biased. have it on vinyl too and your right it is a lost classic. mick was battling heroin addiction when he wrote it ( wasn't he always !! ) and this shows in the calm and beauty of the record.

First musical disagreement with you on Bon Iver mate. Too whiney for me although exceptionally talented.

The La's is one of the best records of all time by a band who are far too often labelled as a one hit wonder. Any one that has listened to that album will tell you they're anything but.

The Coral's self titled album is also brilliant as is Butterfly House.

I'll go to the other end of the spectrum now though. Damo, check out Brian Jonestown Massacre - Tepid Peppermint Wonderland. Slightly psychedelic with grungy garage undertones. Saw them on Sunday night at the Ritz and they were top drawer.
totally agree re the la's ( not just because lee mavers is a massive evertonian ), they only had the one hit but the standard of the rest was higher than most could ever attain to.

Based on the bands you already listen to though I'd suggest maybe; 'Courteeners - St. Jude', 'KOL - Youth And Young Manhood', 'Strokes - This Is It' and my personal recommendation 'Modest Mouse - Good News For People Who Love Bad News' (If you're feeling adventurous have a look at their earlier stuff, absolute quality.)

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Y7c3qzHET8[/youtube]

Damo, you need some of these in your ears.

This is an artist called Killer Mike. Killer Mike is one of the better rappers around the music scene today. His knowledge of the genre is what has allowed him to be so eloquent in his ten-year career that has produced five albums. The beats, produced by El-P create a hard-hitting, "real" hip-hop album that has lived up to its hype for sure.

Album to try: R.A.P. Music.

----

This is an experimental indie band called alt-J (∆). Despite being criticised for their image and name choice, Alt-J have finally broken on to the scene. They did release an album a few weeks ago that combines an indie, beige feel with harsh electronics and a couple of stand-out tracks - notably the one in this post - that I certainly won't forget.

Album to try: An Awesome Wave.

----

This is an experimental electronic band called Animal Collective. Animal Collective are often praised for their meticulous attention to layering their music. You normally need to listen to their music a few times through to fully understand just how delicate the arranging of each song is. And on top of all that, they know how to make beautiful music in the major key.

Album to try: Merriweather Post Pavillion.

----

This is a hip-hop influenced jazz instrumental band called BADBADNOTGOOD. They released a free mixtape earlier this year which is free to download from here > <a class="postlink" href="http://badbadnotgood.bandcamp.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://badbadnotgood.bandcamp.com/</a> Never before has a jazz band appreciated hip-hop in such a modern way. They manage to combine caressed piano melodies with synthesisers and further electronic influences to give jazz an updated feel.

Album to try: BBNG2.

That should do for now.

shackattack said:
borassic said:
shackattack said:
have to agree, would also add waterpistol but am biased. have it on vinyl too and your right it is a lost classic. mick was battling heroin addiction when he wrote it ( wasn't he always !! ) and this shows in the calm and beauty of the record.

First musical disagreement with you on Bon Iver mate. Too whiney for me although exceptionally talented.

The La's is one of the best records of all time by a band who are far too often labelled as a one hit wonder. Any one that has listened to that album will tell you they're anything but.

The Coral's self titled album is also brilliant as is Butterfly House.

I'll go to the other end of the spectrum now though. Damo, check out Brian Jonestown Massacre - Tepid Peppermint Wonderland. Slightly psychedelic with grungy garage undertones. Saw them on Sunday night at the Ritz and they were top drawer.
totally agree re the la's ( not just because lee mavers is a massive evertonian ), they only had the one hit but the standard of the rest was higher than most could ever attain to.

The La's...absolute genius.

Damocles said:
I find that I work best when listening to music, but all of my albums are getting overplayed. Can somebody recommend something that I'd like based on my favourites? I used to download the top 40, but that shit is just fucking terrible now.

Noel Gallagher & High Flying Birds is currently my favourite work album
Nirvana Unplugged
Zutons - Who Killed The Zutons
Muse - Black Holes & Revelations
The Smiths - Hatful of Hollow
What I was trying to do in my post was get you away from your favourite styles of music. Not enough people are willing to extend their musical horizons past their comfort zones or "favourites", when they should. That's why the top 40 is "fucking terrible", as you say.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.