recommendations for places to visit?

Personally I would never go to Barcelona again
Went there for the City game last year.
Someone tried to pick my pocket within half an hour of getting there
I saw loads of people getting stuff robbed off them on Barcelonata beach
One of the City fans there had his wallet taken with his money and tickets in
We even saw someone injecting on the street on the way back from the stadium
I know this can be a problem in any major city, but it's the only place something like this has happened to me, and I live down south and work in London and have never seen anything.

If you do decide to visit and you wear a rucksack, wear it on your front rather than on your back
There is some beautiful architecture and some great shops but I personally would never go there again

mrksdawn19 said:
Personally I would never go to Barcelona again
Went there for the City game last year.
Someone tried to pick my pocket within half an hour of getting there
I saw loads of people getting stuff robbed off them on Barcelonata beach
One of the City fans there had his wallet taken with his money and tickets in
We even saw someone injecting on the street on the way back from the stadium
I know this can be a problem in any major city, but it's the only place something like this has happened to me, and I live down south and work in London and have never seen anything.

If you do decide to visit and you wear a rucksack, wear it on your front rather than on your back
There is some beautiful architecture and some great shops but I personally would never go there again

cheers, i've heard this before so i'll certainly be on my guard!

I'ld echo the other guys sentiments with regards to Venice. eating around the main square is 2nd mortgage country. Loads of side st have lovely bars and even if you get what you want if your itallian is as crap as opurs its still top notch.

I go to Roma 3 times a year-Apart from the obvious attractions-Fiddlers Elbow-via omata-To eat del omo behind Termini on via vicenza-dont miss a great view from the Pinch in Villa Borghese.

Venice again. Yes use the taxi's (vaporetto) and walk far and wide and see the less touristy side. Leave St Marks and walk up past Doges Palace and keep walking up by the Grand Canal. When forced to turn left inland there is a great row of shops including a great deli, cake shop and a vino shop where the locals take plastic bottles to fill up on for next to nowt. The deli is run by a yorkshireman. Take goodies back down to the benches on the 'front' and picnic with great food and drink for a tenth of the price and without the tourist hordes but overlooking the Grand Canal and this view of the Santa Maria della Salute. Not too shabby.

Also the gondola is like 40/50 quid but there are little taxi gondolas (traghetto) which take you across the grand canal for 50 cents. Tourists not encouraged but just walk on and drop your money like the locals do. Then try and keep your balance cos you have to stand and your wobbling might give the game away. There is one that goes across to near Santa Maria della Salute and another near the fish market. Get a decent map and they're marked on there.

If you need a beer then there is an English Pub called The Devil's Forest near Campo St. Bartolomeo which is OK but pricey like everywhere else. Buy tinnies in the supermarket if money is tight.

If you have an afternoon free for relaxing I would recommend Retiro Park in Madrid. It is a huge but busy park full of people of all ages. It has a boating lake and places for buying food and drink and is a good place to lie back and enjoy the sunshine. You also get a lot of people playing football and others just sitting and reading. Madrid Zoo is also one of the best in the world if you are into that kind of thing.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.