Redundancy and timing re new job.

Gareth Barry Conlon

So lots of redundancy expected in my firm this year. I've been out looking and am close to getting an offer from someone else. I was close to getting made redundant last year so must be a good chance this time.

The dilemma is that the new firm are about to send me a contract. But first round of redundo looks like June. So do I hold off and wait to see if I get a package. Could be worth 10-20k or just quit and sign up.

There must be loads of people end up in this situation. Any others been in this boat?

If £10 to £20k is a significant amount to you then it might be worth hanging on if you find working there still bearable.

Also, how easy was it to find a new opportunity? You are obviously quite employable so it must be worth sticking it out and looking for a new job after the potential redundancy?

One last thing, have you got any pals in HR or can you ask the question and find out the official word this week? Can't make a decision based on speculation.

could you ask for redundancy ?
I could but won't change the timings.
If £10 to £20k is a significant amount to you then it might be worth hanging on if you find working there still bearable.

Also, how easy was it to find a new opportunity? You are obviously quite employable so it must be worth sticking it out and looking for a new job after the potential redundancy?

One last thing, have you got any pals in HR or can you ask the question and find out the official word this week? Can't make a decision based on speculation.
The offer is for no extra money but a good firm and much better work environment. I may get something else, maybe even more money but I can't be arsed with BS anymore and many of the jobs I could get come with loads of BS. This one has a good relaxed vibe. But 20k is a lot of money in a lump.

I have no source of HR advice other than BM. All decisions will be made based on this thread.

I spoke to the guy who interviewed me and he was good enough to hold the job for 3 months so i could collect my redundancy you have nothing to lose jusk ask
That could be an option but there were other candidates. So if I ask for 4 months before I start they might just go to someone else.

In my head.. I could accept the job and sign up for usual 3months notice/start date. But not resign and wait to get made redundant in the interim.

I guess the question is what is the worst that can happen?

£20,000 is a huge amount of money in a lump sum. Is it taxed? Even gross, that’s still lots of money.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.