Ref Watch

I think you're making most of that up.

It never included taking a goal kick. And if all outfield players have to be out of the penalty area before 6 seconds start, why would defenders wanting to waste time ever leave the penalty area? If it only applies once the keeper is standing, why would he ever need to get up? The 10 yard bit for attackers is nonsense.
Sorry, I did get that slightly wrong. It's not all outfield players, just opposition ones. Once again, having been to numerous courses, I would suggest you attend some of them. Quite often when a PL official is giving a talk to a local society the public are entitled to attend but you very rarely find anyone bothered. I have said this before but football must be the only sport where the fans of the sport are ignorant of the laws

for all those who think I defend refs i will point out thaat I thought Friend had one of the worst performances this year during our game. As for Taylor, he really should have sent off Maguire & Ronaldo as well. However, we all know what happens if you upset Utd too much.

Eds, I haven't reffed for 5 years so haven't had new interpretations etc but I can assure you every year when they make amendments to the laws of the game you also get sent an attachment with interpretations. This is usually about 90 pages. You need to read these alongside the laws. I suggest you take the course and you might know this. However, I suspect you are quite happy to go along with whatever interpretation fits your narrative, a bit like TV pundits
I haven't reffed for 5 years so haven't had new interpretations - enough said. My son is currently reffing at level 4 (so more up to date than five years ago) so I reckon, through my conversations with him and my overall knowledge of the game having played at semi pro level I know my stuff.

I haven't reffed for 5 years so haven't had new interpretations - enough said. My son is currently reffing at level 4 (so more up to date than five years ago) so I reckon, through my conversations with him and my overall knowledge of the game having played at semi pro level I know my stuff.
So, send me the amended interpretations regarding the 6 second law over the last 5 years and I will hold my hands up to say I got it wrong.

So, send me the amended interpretations regarding the 6 second law over the last 5 years and I will hold my hands up to say I got it wrong.
Let me call my son at work, ask him to trawl through his emails, copy and paste the appropriate sections, email them to me and then put it on here. Think the response I would get would be to 'get a life'. And as we all know it appears any LOTG is open to interpretation so it wouldn't solve anything. You carry on thinking you are right and you have 'won' a debate.

It's these 'inconsistencies' that are used to manipulate the game. Similar to the way some referee's will wave play on when we have zero advantage, or halt the game for a nothing-foul when we have a chance of a breakaway. Then there are the times the referee will allow the game to 'flow' when the opposition go in hard for a 50-50 challenge, but blow up and dish out a yellow the first time one of ours makes exactly the same kind of challenge.
If the rules were consistently applied I’d have no problem with it. In the Brighton game the refereeing team sensed a city wobble and applied a bit of pressure. Do they do that to any other team in the league?!?

Franny Lee said quite a few years ago the main problem with Referees is now they get involved with the emotions of the game. I think he was spot on. In the 50s and 60s it was said a good referee wasn't even noticed, ie, he just quietly and efficiently got on with the job in hand. Tell me one single modern referee that isn't now in the spotlight every game he officiates. Modern referees now think they are some sort of stars. They lead the players out on to the pitch, some sweeping the ball up off it's pedestal as if they own the game. Most modern referees are just arrogant. Look at Mike Dean's response to Pep's enquiry into a refereeing decision at Anfield, he just stood there staring into the distance chewing gum totally ignoring Pep. FA should start by getting officials to come on to the pitch AFTER the teams. Gestured made by them should be low key and not over exaggerated. Bit more humility would bring them respect from players and fans alike. Probably gone too far for that I suppose.

Franny Lee said quite a few years ago the main problem with Referees is now they get involved with the emotions of the game. I think he was spot on. In the 50s and 60s it was said a good referee wasn't even noticed, ie, he just quietly and efficiently got on with the job in hand. Tell me one single modern referee that isn't now in the spotlight every game he officiates. Modern referees now think they are some sort of stars. They lead the players out on to the pitch, some sweeping the ball up off it's pedestal as if they own the game. Most modern referees are just arrogant. Look at Mike Dean's response to Pep's enquiry into a refereeing decision at Anfield, he just stood there staring into the distance chewing gum totally ignoring Pep. FA should start by getting officials to come on to the pitch AFTER the teams. Gestured made by them should be low key and not over exaggerated. Bit more humility would bring them respect from players and fans alike. Probably gone too far for that I suppose.
Said this on the way home from Anfield. The refs are now part & parcel of the "match day experience"
Like you ended with, it has got too far for them to be reeled back in now.

Hmm - I remember the ref was outside the area so maybe 15 yards away, with his back to Bert, and got the ball in the back.
From what I recall of the incident I seem to think Bert ran after him as he was making a note of the goal in his book and heading back to the halfway line! Bert's stealth got him in the end! Back? Arse? He got what was coming!

I doubt it there's any 'going back'. And there's a history of 'strategies' to improve the LotG and the game generally being jettisoned within a fortnight of them appearing.

Reactions: Vic

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.