Ref Watch

I've just watched it loads of times. Unbelievably bad decision. I can't stress enough how utterly poor this decision was.

Firstly, the linesman was correct to flag offside after the ball went in. (Cue vociferous complaining by Fernandez and Rashford, telling the linesman that Rashford didn't touch the ball).

The linesman then calms the United players down. I wonder what he told them. Maybe something like "Don't panic, the goal will stand". Obviously we don't know, but Fernandez's reaction to this brief encounter suggests he knew the goal would stand. Attwell and linesman then have a conversation, and goal is given.

Questions:

1. What did the linesman say to Attwell?

2. What did the VAR say, if anything? Why didn't he intervene and correct this abomination of a decision?

3. Why on earth, didn't the VAR recommend Attwell checks the monitor?

4. Why didn't Attwell ask to see the incident on the monitor to inform his own decision?

This is gross misconduct by all three of them. It should result in disciplinary action. You just know the whole refereeing establishment will close ranks though. Maybe we'll get an acknowledgement and apology.

This has to be a real low point in the already checkered history of VAR. You have to ask yourself if three officials all reaching the same wrong decision is a coincidence, or is it bent?

The part where the rules imply it has to be physcailly impeding someone...which Rashford doesnt.

I agree his actions impact on the goal but the rules say that he has to physicaly impact on players - which he doesnt ...
He is physically chasing after the ball

Pretty sure on numerous occasions this season I've seen a player move towards the ball from an offside position and its flagged.

Apart from it would have been a foul and therefore probably a red, as the foul would have occurred before the offside.
You can’t have it both ways. If Akanji dove in to play the ball and caught Rashford, he’d be blocked from playing the ball by an offside player, so no foul

This doesn’t stop a shite ref from bottling it at the swamp, mind you, but what does anymore?

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.