Referees for Thursday and Sunday

Credit where it is due. I have been a real moaner about refereeing decisions this year but thought that Atkinson got it spot on last night. Restored my faith in them thank you. Hope this carries on for the rest of the season.

Atkinson had a great game and I was amazed at some of the challenges he allowed. But some of those challenges, by both sides, would lead to yellow cards from other referees so how do the players know what to expect?
Some of the crunchier tackles were the best bits of the game as we were playing cow's arses and banjos while they refused to leave their penalty area.
He was fair to both sides but others could have been even handed yet booked half a dozen from each side.

Atkinson had a great game and I was amazed at some of the challenges he allowed. But some of those challenges, by both sides, would lead to yellow cards from other referees so how do the players know what to expect?
Some of the crunchier tackles were the best bits of the game as we were playing cow's arses and banjos while they refused to leave their penalty area.
He was fair to both sides but others could have been even handed yet booked half a dozen from each side.

He reffed the game really well and certainly changed Uniteds game plan, who early on were rolling around and hitting the floor constantly to try and win cheap free kicks and slow down the play.

The issue is consistency as noted by the poster above. It did restore my faith that there is no pro United, anti City conspiracy because this was the perfect game, if it was corrupt, to ensure a swing in favour of United to help them achieve top four. Sadly it does not change the fact the standard of reffing is poor and the game is too fast for them to get the majority of decisions correct.

He reffed the game really well and certainly changed Uniteds game plan, who early on were rolling around and hitting the floor constantly to try and win cheap free kicks and slow down the play.

The issue is consistency as noted by the poster above. It did restore my faith that there is no pro United, anti City conspiracy because this was the perfect game, if it was corrupt, to ensure a swing in favour of United to help them achieve top four. Sadly it does not change the fact the standard of reffing is poor and the game is too fast for them to get the majority of decisions correct.

I disagree somewhat. All it did for me is prove that if over a season the refs and authorities were that honest, football would be the beautiful game again and we'd have won another title. It just showed how badly some referees have cheated in certain situations to manipulate results. I think by the way they let Yaya's comments slide, and that Thursday was refereed perfectly that they knew that last Sunday had gone a little too far and received a backlash they want to avoid from all quarters, so Thursday was absolutely not the night to have any more controversy if avoidable.

I disagree somewhat. All it did for me is prove that if over a season the refs and authorities were that honest, football would be the beautiful game again and we'd have won another title. It just showed how badly some referees have cheated in certain situations to manipulate results. I think by the way they let Yaya's comments slide, and that Thursday was refereed perfectly that they knew that last Sunday had gone a little too far and received a backlash they want to avoid from all quarters, so Thursday was absolutely not the night to have any more controversy if avoidable.

Fair enough. But I am interested if there had been some decisions in Uniteds favour that would have further convinced you of bias and now there wasn't that also further convinced you? So either way you see bias.

I do not think we would have won the title, that is just wishful thinking. The fact is we have not been good enough and Chelsea have been more clinical and more resilient.

Last edited:
Fair enough. But I am interested if there had been some decisions in Uniteds favour that would have further convinced you of bias and now there where wasn't that also further convinced you? So either way you see bias.

I do not think we would have won the title, that is just wishful thinking. The fact is we have not been good enough and Chelsea have been more clinical and more resilient.

who knows, the momentum of winning those big games could have spurred us on. When you add in:

• Luiz being sent off and Gundogan being giving his penalty v Chelsea at home.
  • Being given the penalty for Monreal's handball v Arsenal away.
  • Being given the penalty for Sterling being chopped down by Milner v Liverpool home.
  • Being given the penalty for Sterling for being brought down v Everton away at 0-0.
  • Being given the penalty for Sterling for Walker's blatant push v Spurs at home at 2-1.
  • Harry Kane being correctly ruled offside in the build-up to Spurs equaliser at home.
  • Being given the penalty for Aguero being fouled v Monaco at home.
  • Being given the goal that never went out of play v Arsenal in the Cup semi-final.
  • Costa being correctly sent off for his attack on Kompany v Chelsea away.
  • Fabregas (& Chalobah) being sent off for their antics v Chelsea at home, which would have prevented Cesc scoring the winner at Sunderland.
  • Ibrahimovic being correctly sent off for his attack on Otamendi v United home.
I think that changes our season somewhat. That's why an honest performance on Thursday doesn't make up for what they've done to us the rest of the season.

who knows, the momentum of winning those big games could have spurred us on. When you add in:

• Luiz being sent off and Gundogan being giving his penalty v Chelsea at home.
  • Being given the penalty for Monreal's handball v Arsenal away.
  • Being given the penalty for Sterling being chopped down by Milner v Liverpool home.
  • Being given the penalty for Sterling for being brought down v Everton away at 0-0.
  • Being given the penalty for Sterling for Walker's blatant push v Spurs at home at 2-1.
  • Harry Kane being correctly ruled offside in the build-up to Spurs equaliser at home.
  • Being given the penalty for Aguero being fouled v Monaco at home.
  • Being given the goal that never went out of play v Arsenal in the Cup semi-final.
  • Costa being correctly sent off for his attack on Kompany v Chelsea away.
  • Fabregas (& Chalobah) being sent off for their antics v Chelsea at home, which would have prevented Cesc scoring the winner at Sunderland.
  • Ibrahimovic being correctly sent off for his attack on Otamendi v United home.
I think that changes our season somewhat. That's why an honest performance on Thursday doesn't make up for what they've done to us the rest of the season.

Fair enough pal that is what you believe and there is a compelling argument for it I do not dispute that.

Personally I do not think we have been good enough to be champions.

Fair enough pal that is what you believe and there is a compelling argument for it I do not dispute that.

Personally I do not think we have been good enough to be champions.

I just feel there's been enough points gained if decisions were given correctly, enough confidence gained through not constantly having setbacks that really upset the season, especially in big games against our rivals which have been decided by "bad" decisions.

I also think the confidence of our rivals would have been dented somewhat if they had lost those big games against us, so I think it has a big effect. Certainly I don't think Chelsea would have lasted as long running away at the top had they been dismantled at ours, which I think being down to 10 and probably 2-0 down at HT could have caused.

Equally Spurs were played off the park at ours and 3-1 down at that stage of the game is a huge difference, as is Liverpool going a goal down, Arsenal losing at the death, and Monaco going 2-1 down straight after equalising.

The opposition has also grown in stature as the season's progressed, seeing the decisions that have gone in their favour and it's resulted them kicking Silva out of the game at Goodison and literally so in the semi-final, to the point where our attacking players were visibly backing out of 50/50s on Thursday because they were clearly worried about what was coming their way because they felt they had no protection, and that there would be no justice afterwards.

When a raft of decisions consistently doesn't go your way and it then influences the way opponents target you during the following games, it not only denies you outright points but completely changes the mentality and confidence of the side. With correct decisions (and well-taken penalties) we beat Chelsea, Spurs and Liverpool at home and Arsenal away and it completely changes our season and our squad mentality imo.

If we'd missed every single one and had exactly the same results and been in exactly the same position then fine, that's on us, but we were wrongly and deliberately not given the opportunity this season and that's what's pissed people off. If we're not good enough, then fine, but when we've clearly been denied stonewall chances to win the biggest games of our season, then it stinks.

This

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.