Reflections on the "oil money" matter

Underneath it all i think there a lot of them who are kinda scared for city's rise to succes. We are on the rise, in comparison to us the very top teams often seem in relative decline. It's one thing to see city win the league, but i bet that more than that our opposition is scared that we are about to be come the PSG/BM of the premier league.

I was posting on Barca forum and there was this barca fan there who had renamed our team "shitty" and lamented our oil billions. I was left with the question as to this persons psychology for him to rename our team like that for havign a means of denunciation. It showed obvious bias but one wonders why a Barca fan would care so much, unless ofcourse you have barca fans that are kinda fearfull of our rise.

Last edited:
To be fair we were too until we got some :-)

You are right though it's all jealousy. We are like the spotty teenage geek at school who couldn't get a bird then 15 years later he is the highly paid doctor, living in a penthouse ,driving a Sports car and shagging allsorts while the more popular and successful with the girls at school are on minimum wage and being henpecked by the once lovely Tracy who is now 4 stone overweight pouring out of her thin leggings while the kids are screaming at him.
Maybe it was slightly different for us because united were dominating and are our local rivals but I was pleased for Chelsea when they got their money and I like to think if the good sheikh had bought Newcastle or any club that I didn't loathe instead of us then I'd be happy to see them get some luck. I was always happy to see any club able to teach the likes of united and Liverpool a lesson and didn't care how they did it.

The money from Champions League football from the nineties and especially the early noughties onwards killed off any real chance of competing at the top without external investment for any but those clubs. This in turn grew their income further as younger fans gravitated towards these teams instead of their local clubs.

This has always been my view. The amount at the time was a significant percentage of total income at the time.

I think the CL money has become less important as a percentage, although I'm happy for that to be disproved.

Maybe it was slightly different for us because united were dominating and are our local rivals but I was pleased for Chelsea when they got their money and I like to think if the good sheikh had bought Newcastle or any club that I didn't loathe instead of us then I'd be happy to see them get some luck. I was always happy to see any club able to teach the likes of united and Liverpool a lesson and didn't care how they did it.

Yeah. I would have been happy for other clubs too but that would have been fuelled by my hatred for the ****s.

going home on the London train last night you thought that they had won 4-1 not us, all giddy with the "Yid Army"crap. even though there was 3 jews in our carriage (2 of whom were kids). All you have to say to them to shut them up is 'would you turn it down'

This has always been my view. The amount at the time was a significant percentage of total income at the time.

I think the CL money has become less important as a percentage, although I'm happy for that to be disproved.
At one stage they were getting nearly as much from the CL as they were from the PL and that's what locked down the old Sky 4. It's not as drastic now as PL money has gone up so far but we still earned close to £80m in 14/15 from the CL alone. Every other major league is as dead as a doornail at this stage.

At one stage they were getting nearly as much from the CL as they were from the PL and that's what locked down the old Sky 4. It's not as drastic now as PL money has gone up so far but we still earned close to £80m in 14/15 from the CL alone. Every other major league is as dead as a doornail at this stage.

Couldn't have told you the numbers, but that sounds about right.
As you say, the CL money is a massive wedge though, and over a few years draws dividing lines between haves and have nots. The Sheikh's investment moved us from the latter to the former, and the Haves didn't like having to share.

Do any of you accountant types have any idea how much has been invested in our club since the takeover and how much the total worth of the club is now.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.