Regretting sending child to private school

waterloo blue said:
wayne71 said:
waterloo blue said:
Wayne,saw something on the news last night that said: recent migrants on 457 visas were forced to pay for their child's education in WA.
Have you been affected by this?,it's a disgrace if they get away with it.

Yes I possibly could be, its $4k for the 1st child and 2k for the rest I think but they have now put it back now to 2015 and hopefully by then I should be a permanent resident. Even thought I sent my daughter to a state school I still had to pay $1500 for the year so that would have been on top of the 4k!
It's 2.5 k for us in Sydney,there's no such thing as a free lunch in Australia.
You can imagine the reaction, asking for money for state education in the UK.

I'd imagine lots wouldn't bother sending their kids to school!

I don't mind paying standard school fees as I feel she's getting a better education here and some of the options they get to choose are a damn sight better than the ones I had in high school but the additional fees just for certain visa holders are a bit harsh considering they pay the same taxes as everyone else.

there is state education

.....and there is state education

if you live, or can afford to live, in Beaconsfield for example then you will probably get the best the 'State' can offer which matches the private sector

but in most other places you can expect mediocrity at best

or worse

it is not a level playing field and of course it fucking should be

smudgedj said:
Balti said:
mcmanus said:
Best comment yet.

You want your kids to do well at school then spend time helping them. Just teaching them the alphabet and numbers before 4 helps.

wow

do thicko's like you actually have kids?

Eh? Are you saying parents shouldn't help to educate their children?

Well it is a tough one. Lots of parents just think giving dinner money and telling their kids to fuck off will turn them into scientists, I guess it takes more that that.

wayne71 said:
waterloo blue said:
wayne71 said:
Yes I possibly could be, its $4k for the 1st child and 2k for the rest I think but they have now put it back now to 2015 and hopefully by then I should be a permanent resident. Even thought I sent my daughter to a state school I still had to pay $1500 for the year so that would have been on top of the 4k!
It's 2.5 k for us in Sydney,there's no such thing as a free lunch in Australia.
You can imagine the reaction, asking for money for state education in the UK.

I'd imagine lots wouldn't bother sending their kids to school!

I don't mind paying standard school fees as I feel she's getting a better education here and some of the options they get to choose are a damn sight better than the ones I had in high school but the additional fees just for certain visa holders are a bit harsh considering they pay the same taxes as everyone else.
It's a disgrace mate,the amount of money this country makes and they hit you up for extra,just because you can't vote and therefore vote the cheeky bastards out.

117 M34 said:
Chancy Termites said:
smudgedj said:
I agree with this. A private education is no guarantee of intelligence but it does seem to help to take the edge off the disadvantages other thick people face in life.

I think the main benefit is that you get better other kids' parents at a private school! From what I've seen, private school parents are far more likely to get involved with the school, eg raising money, attending plays, concerts and sporting events etc. Parents are generally more polite, better behaved and respectful of others at that kind of thing, except for the stinking rich ones who nobody else likes anyway.

Private school teachers are worse paid, are expected to be more involved in extra-curricular activities and get much poorer benefits especially pensions. In spite of that, I would say they are, in the main, better qualified academically than their state school counterparts. Some teachers like the idea of improving the lives of disadvanted children, while others like to contribute to helping the ablest pupils get to the very top. Both are perfectly decent aims.

Better qualified academically? Every teacher in a 'state' primary has a minimum of a degree.
You don't even need a single GCSE to become a teacher in a private school.

I'm referring to the teachers' actual qualifications rather than the minimum requirements. At the school my kids went to, almost all hold a Masters while several have doctorates.

charliebigspuds said:
mindmyp's_n_q's said:
Tuearts right boot said:
I went to a prep school in Chorlton..waste of my dads money to be fair. Got through to Grammar school,just, and sruggled. If there were exams in Fucking about then I'd have got a 2-1 in Fucking about at the university of Fucking about in Fuckingaboutshire.

If you were so good at fucking about why would you not have got a first? ;)
That's a very good question, I was so good at fuckin about at school they stopped me from going, probably because my fuckin about was making the other children feel inadequate in comparison

Btw has the op just admitted to having Danielle Westbrook as his other half?

I'm very surprised nothing has been said about who his other half is.

Gavmcfc88 said:
charliebigspuds said:
mindmyp's_n_q's said:
If you were so good at fucking about why would you not have got a first? ;)
That's a very good question, I was so good at fuckin about at school they stopped me from going, probably because my fuckin about was making the other children feel inadequate in comparison

Probably due to the fact it's random bullshit and the OP has previous

pudge said:
Gavmcfc88 said:
charliebigspuds said:

Probably due to the fact it's random bullshit and the OP has previous

Seems like a real life Walter Mitty !!

I’d ask the child how they find it? Then question the motivations of your Mrs for sending the kid there.

Many people view private education as an investment (which it technically is) and that they will see return in terms of high grades, great chances of getting in to uni leading to good job prospects.

However, this isn’t always the case. Whilst some of the teachers are brilliant, I’d say most are pretty average and high results comes down to the child’s attitude and willingness to learn. I wouldn’t say that teachers go the extra mile, in fact I’d say far from it. They are very regimented in dealing with situations and providing learning. There is a worrying lack of creativity. As previous posters have mentioned the teachers don’t require formal training and many haven’t received any. As a result of this some can’t deal with situations.

I’d say the major benefit is probably the behaviour and ethos (depending on the school). You don’t get idiots disrupting lessons and if you do then teachers tend to be quite firm and are consistent with that.

Another factor to consider is the arrogant pretentious attitude of the pupils that fee paying schools attract who have no worries in life because mummy and daddy support them.

I know of one particular private school in Manchester that’s really going downhill since most of the guvnors left. The school has been relying on employing ex pupils as they can’t attract quality teachers due to their reputation. These ex pupils really aren't up to standard and don't have any teaching quals. If your daughter is that school then I’d advise you to remove her from that establishment and look elsewhere.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.