Relegation overhaul.

The Light Was Yellow Sir

Just some random thoughts on relegation, following an early start on the red wine.

Given all thats been going on recently, with the super league and with the after effects of the pandemic on finances, is it time to radically overhaul promotion and relegation? Instead of 3 up and 3 down, what about 6/6 or 9/9?
There’s every chance that the 3 relegated teams from last season are coming back up, suggesting that the parachute payments are making the PL something of a closed shop, exactly what the criticism of the SL was.
Altering the number relegated, and binning off the parachute payments, might also go some way to improving the ‘product‘ as playing turgid, long ball stuff might keep you out of the bottom 3 but probably not out of the bottom 6 and definitely not out of the bottom 9. Getting relegated wouldn’t have quite such a stigma attached to it either and might encourage more continuity of coaches and playing style, which can only be a good thing.

The chances of getting into the PL would be greatly enhanced, ensuring the money was shared about a bit more and, the fabled pyramid structure would be even more about sporting achievement and merit. It would enable more teams to have a shot at at least a season in the PL and would emphasise the importance of merit being the basis of the sport. If it was suggested, I’d imagine the ‘14’ would be fully supportive as, although it might not be in their individual best interests, it would benefit the wider footballing family, which is what they all said they wanted...........

Just some random thoughts on relegation, following an early start on the red wine.

Given all thats been going on recently, with the super league and with the after effects of the pandemic on finances, is it time to radically overhaul promotion and relegation? Instead of 3 up and 3 down, what about 6/6 or 9/9?
There’s every chance that the 3 relegated teams from last season are coming back up, suggesting that the parachute payments are making the PL something of a closed shop, exactly what the criticism of the SL was.
Altering the number relegated, and binning off the parachute payments, might also go some way to improving the ‘product‘ as playing turgid, long ball stuff might keep you out of the bottom 3 but probably not out of the bottom 6 and definitely not out of the bottom 9. Getting relegated wouldn’t have quite such a stigma attached to it either and might encourage more continuity of coaches and playing style, which can only be a good thing.

The chances of getting into the PL would be greatly enhanced, ensuring the money was shared about a bit more and, the fabled pyramid structure would be even more about sporting achievement and merit. It would enable more teams to have a shot at at least a season in the PL and would emphasise the importance of merit being the basis of the sport. If it was suggested, I’d imagine the ‘14’ would be fully supportive as, although it might not be in their individual best interests, it would benefit the wider footballing family, which is what they all said they wanted...........
With the numbers / votes needed to pass something like that, it wouldn’t even make the agenda at a PL meeting , would be like turkeys voting for Christmas

With the numbers / votes needed to pass something like that, it wouldn’t even make the agenda at a PL meeting , would be like turkeys voting for Christmas
I suppose that’s the point I was trying to make really. The ‘big 6’ are slated for ’looking after themselves’ but if more relegation was proposed the 14 would vote against for the self same reason.

The top three from the championship generally can’t cope and mostly go straight back.
Expanding it would make the premier league a farce.
In the last five years only 54.4% of the promoted teams have gone straight back down after one season. Almost half the time they can cope and do stay up.

I agree that I don’t think it should be expanded.

Since 2016 the vast majority of teams promoted are no longer in the premier including the ones going down this season.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.