REM

Ste1969

Great band brilliant live, remember seeing them in the early 90's at the McAlpine with the The Beautiful South supporting.Great band i wish Stipe and co would reform.

ste1969 said:
Great band brilliant live, remember seeing them in the early 90's at the McAlpine with the The Beautiful South supporting.Great band i wish Stipe and co would reform.

Mrs Stony and I were both desperate to go to that, but we couldn't get anyone to look after the kids.

ste1969 said:

I was there too :-)
Still one of my favourite bands

I saw them in a small club in Worthing about 1985. I think they had just released their 2nd album.

A friend who was into his music and bought the tickets lent me their first two albums before we went to see them so I would know their songs, as they hadn't registered with me. I didn't know who they were, but I recognised a song from one of their albums.

There couldn't have been more than a hundred people at the gig, and we were standing only a few feet in front of them next to the stage.

I thought they were OK. The music didn't really grab me, but the thing I remember most was how much the audience took the piss out of them. Even Michael Stipe was laughing about it on some occasions.

I didn't think they were anything special, and I never thought they would turn into the biggest band of the 90's.

chabal said:
Brilliant until 1994.

Corporate non entities ever since.

This.

Always great live up to then ..... First four albums were superb. Then 'meh' .... for me anyhow. Most suprising cover from them was Aerosmith's Toys In The Attic, at the Ritz. The 'Smiffs were relatively unknown here then .... did it great too ...

New adventures in hifi was the last album I bought by them. Considering that was there 10th album, I'd say they had a pretty good run. Everything after that album was just filler (kinda like the stones after some girls in 1978 and Bowies Lodger in 1979 ). Document was probably their last great album before they dropped I.R.S and signed with warner bros. Lifes rich pageant is one of my faves.
Brilliant band in their day.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.