Remember the queues ?

ccr said:
I remember queueing all night for tickets in the sixties for the Everton cup game. Was it 66 ? Stretched all the way round Maine Road. A Derby same again, and Les Tate (making) asking me to take him to the swamp on my BSA Bantam. To abuse (twonk) the queueing rags.
Those ,lookalike 56 cup final shirts only a thousand, very rare, will be sold out in seconds. They were still selling 2 years later and like a mug i got there at 10 pm the night before. The Gillingham game. Must have been mad.

Got there a week before the York tickets went on sale. lol

thanks to Tim Berners-Lee your memories will remain exactly that

I remember queuing for the Everton match well. We went along on the Sunday(?) morning. It took a while but we picked up tickets and went around three times for more.

63,000 tickets were sold in a couple of hours at the turnstiles. That was impressive for a Second Division team who had been struggling to attract 10,000 a year earlier.

remember the gillingham play-off ticket fiasco well, got season ticket books off mates and took out required vouchers, and drove from chester arriving about 5am only to be met by a queue of over 100 yards long, got to the front about 10.30 and after giving him vouchers was asked for a 2nd voucher broke out in a cold sweat before realising season books were still in jacket pocket that i wore a few days before ! felt sorry for those stuck in queue for 12 hours or more.

stanHayes said:
ccr said:
I remember queueing all night for tickets in the sixties for the Everton cup game. Was it 66 ? Stretched all the way round Maine Road. A Derby same again, and Les Tate (making) asking me to take him to the swamp on my BSA Bantam. To abuse (twonk) the queueing rags.
Those ,lookalike 56 cup final shirts only a thousand, very rare, will be sold out in seconds. They were still selling 2 years later and like a mug i got there at 10 pm the night before. The Gillingham game. Must have been mad.

Got there a week before the York tickets went on sale. lol

yeah remember the Everton cup game.. remember Sheba (lets see if you know who that was) then Went to the replay at Goodison... and the relay to that at wolverhapton.. we lost 1 nil.. the Everton away replay was my first everton away game... i know les tate very well by the way.. use to go in the Gorton mount.
Stayed with Les at his aunts/ grans in Winsor ? after a double header in London, QPR then Arsenal on the tueday. Was expelled after the Wolves replay for going to the game after a warning after the Goodison game. Thought it was 2-0 though ?

What queues for the Gillingham game? I just rolled up 10 mins before KO, handed over £10 and got in. Seat on the half way line too.

I remember queuing for Derby tickets in the 60's - when you needed the old 'token sheet' (that's probably lost a lot of people already!)...
My clever elder brother came up with 2 perfect scams to ensure we always got tickets:

The first one was that if you ever missed a game (which we rarely did) you could buy the match progamme the following week in the old club shop. However, they used to stamp the token so you couldn't use it. Big brother somehow came up with the clever idea of cutting the token out of the program and then soaking it in a cup of water with loads of Vim or Ajax in it. This amazingly lifted off the stamp and left the token perfectly in tact once you had let it dry out - hence we always had a completely full token sheet!

The next scam was even better. After we had stuck the tokens to the token sheet he used to cover it completely with sellotape...
Because what they did when you took up your token sheet and got issued a ticket they would stamp it with black ink to show you had claimed and received your ticket. However, because of the sellotape the ink didn't dry properly and with a bit of spit and the cuff of your shirt you could easily rub it off - which we did. Then we promptly joined the back of the queue again to snare another ticket so we could both go to the game!
He was very clever in such ways was my elder brother!
We got away with it for years and never got rumbled.
Happy days. Very happy days indeed.

moon said:
Remember the days when you had to save tokens from the programmes to get tickets ?

Oh yes. I've still got my full token sheets from the late 60's....every home game had a slightly different design token. Been going ever since. Funny how I've been called a glory hunter and johnny come lately lots of times the last couple of years. Well I did miss York away so maybe they are right.

Notinmylifetime said:
moon said:
Remember the days when you had to save tokens from the programmes to get tickets ?

Oh yes. I've still got my full token sheets from the late 60's....every home game had a slightly different design token. Been going ever since. Funny how I've been called a glory hunter and johnny come lately lots of times the last couple of years. Well I did miss York away so maybe they are right.

Hey if thats the worst you have been called on here then you are doing OK - trust me on that! I have been outed as a 'Rag', banned on numerous occasions
and even as late as yesterday afternnon I had to prove my credentials and genesis as a Blue to a non believer! But hey we know the truth and thats all that matters!

I too didn't make York away but I did make Wycombe away which was for the real hardcore Blues (midweek fixture). York was for lightweights! ;-)

Notinmylifetime said:
moon said:

Think reserve games had tokens too maybe wrong

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.