Rememberance Programme (Airdrie F*ck Up)

My dad, who was there at the time, used the say that the ordinary Wehrmacht soldiers were just like 'us', there because they had to be. He didn't have anything against them.

I don't like the way people talk about 'nazi' troops. Most nazis were Germans, but not all Germans were nazis, not by a long chalk.

Remembrance ought not to be nationalistic these days, but ought to consider all those killed in conflict. Naturally we think of our own first, but I don't think hating people who were our enemies 70 years ago helps us very much.

a mate of mine is in afghanistan now and is in the medical department, it really grates him that they have to treat and help recovery of enemy "soldiers"

when they fight such a dirty war with their ieds and maim so many people including their own people why are they treated with such respect when they themselves are injured

beyond belief

The German Wehrmacht army was not just made up of Germans but millions of forced conscripts and volunteers from the east....there was even a Sikh and British unit in the SS! Over 1:3 were Russians etc captured from the Eastern front towards the end of the war...the lesser of two evils for many of them...Hilfswillige as they were called, and millions suffered as much as many allied armies.

BrianW said:
My dad, who was there at the time, used the say that the ordinary Wehrmacht soldiers were just like 'us', there because they had to be. He didn't have anything against them.

I don't like the way people talk about 'nazi' troops. Most nazis were Germans, but not all Germans were nazis, not by a long chalk.

Remembrance ought not to be nationalistic these days, but ought to consider all those killed in conflict. Naturally we think of our own first, but I don't think hating people who were our enemies 70 years ago helps us very much.

Some of the most 'fervent' Nazis were not German. They chose the German side as a better option than the Russians.

marco said:
20sbc07 said:
They weren't exactly fighting for their country, they were fighting against other countries.
The british troops were fighting to defend our country and others, The german troops were fighting to expand their land and invade other countries.
Big difference :)

the majority of german troops were fighting because they had no choice on the matter,they would have no doubt been executed if they had refused

Not true!<br /><br />-- Tue Nov 16, 2010 2:09 pm --<br /><br />
BillyMC said:
The German Wehrmacht army was not just made up of Germans but millions of forced conscripts and volunteers from the east....there was even a Sikh and British unit in the SS! Over 1:3 were Russians etc captured from the Eastern front towards the end of the war...the lesser of two evils for many of them...Hilfswillige as they were called, and millions suffered as much as many allied armies.

The old Wehrmact argument, peddled by lots of people (started bu ex German General after the war) but constantly disproved by historical evidence, the majority of atrocities committed in the Soviet Union were committed by Wehrmacht. (like 300,000 Jews in the Ukraine)

Good link here

<a class="postlink" href="http://mitchtemppiece.blogspot.com/2008/12/atrocities-of-german-armed-forces.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://mitchtemppiece.blogspot.com/2008 ... orces.html</a>

BrianW said:

I reckon it's got more nationalistic in recent years, I've always felt that Remberance Sunday was to remember all those who had been affected by War whatever their nationality, religion, race or political point of view.

20sbc07 said:
PrestwichPeteMcfc said:
The German soldiers went to fight for their country just like the British. Remembrance day is for ALL soldiers not just British so I don't see the problem at all.

They weren't exactly fighting for their country, they were fighting against other countries.
The british troops were fighting to defend our country and others, The german troops were fighting to expand their land and invade other countries.
Most Germans were fighting because they had no choice, or because they were brainwashed to think it was the right thing to do.
Remembrance Day is for all soldiers in all wars. Not just British solders (who have also precipitation in colonial expansion). Which ever country the solider in the picture is from it is as much of a travesty that he had to leave his family to die as if it was a British solider

Ducado said:
marco wrote:
20sbc07 wrote:

the majority of german troops were fighting because they had no choice on the matter,they would have no doubt been executed if they had refused

Not true!
Ducado said:
marco said:

Not true!

-- Tue Nov 16, 2010 2:09 pm --

BillyMC said:

The old Wehrmact argument, peddled by lots of people (started bu ex German General after the war) but constantly disproved by historical evidence, the majority of atrocities committed in the Soviet Union were committed by Wehrmacht. (like 300,000 Jews in the Ukraine)

Good link here

<a class="postlink" href="http://mitchtemppiece.blogspot.com/2008/12/atrocities-of-german-armed-forces.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://mitchtemppiece.blogspot.com/2008 ... orces.html</a>

very much the truth i'll take my knowledge first hand from people that were there and not from some clown from a football forum.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.