Replay date now Wednesday 1st March 7.45pm

What I still find strange (and I know I’m not alone), is the new context of the FA Cup.

Consider the following painful list:

Coventry, Brighton, Blackpool,Coventry, Watford, United, Liverpool, Brentford, Millwall, Notts County, Middlesbrough, Tottenham, Cardiff, Newcastle, United, Middlesbrough, West Ham, Wimbledon, Leeds, Liverpool, Newcastle, Liverpool, United, Oldham, West Ham, Blackburn, Sheff United, Notts Forest, Stoke.

If you haven’t already guessed, then those teams represent the heartbreak of our 29 FA Cup exits from Ricky Villa’s winning goal in 1981 to Yaya ending the curse in 2011.

Apart from Boundary Park in 2005 I attended all those defeats, yet at some point during the journey, the FA Cup lost its charismatic charm.

So we now find ourselves treating a replay as though it’s worse than a defeat.

United won the competition last year, but still sacked their Manager, and even today’s half time announcer joked that Huddersfield had a bigger game against Reading in midweek.

All very strange, and if I’m totally honest, a bit sad.

What I still find strange (and I know I’m not alone), is the new context of the FA Cup.

Consider the following painful list:

Coventry, Brighton, Blackpool,Coventry, Watford, United, Liverpool, Brentford, Millwall, Notts County, Middlesbrough, Tottenham, Cardiff, Newcastle, United, Middlesbrough, West Ham, Wimbledon, Leeds, Liverpool, Newcastle, Liverpool, United, Oldham, West Ham, Blackburn, Sheff United, Notts Forest, Stoke.

If you haven’t already guessed, then those teams represent the heartbreak of our 29 FA Cup exits from Ricky Villa’s winning goal in 1981 to Yaya ending the curse in 2011.

Apart from Boundary Park in 2005 I attended all those defeats, yet at some point during the journey, the FA Cup lost its charismatic charm.

So we now find ourselves treating a replay as though it’s worse than a defeat.

United won the competition last year, but still sacked their Manager, and even today’s half time announcer joked that Huddersfield had a bigger game against Reading in midweek.

All very strange, and if I’m totally honest, a bit sad.

It is sad but it's true now. It's on a par with the League Cup.

Does the same set of officials take charge of the replay normally ?

Assume that it is more than a possibility, knowing the luck we have !

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.