Replay date now Wednesday 1st March 7.45pm

What I still find strange (and I know I’m not alone), is the new context of the FA Cup.

Consider the following painful list:

Coventry, Brighton, Blackpool,Coventry, Watford, United, Liverpool, Brentford, Millwall, Notts County, Middlesbrough, Tottenham, Cardiff, Newcastle, United, Middlesbrough, West Ham, Wimbledon, Leeds, Liverpool, Newcastle, Liverpool, United, Oldham, West Ham, Blackburn, Sheff United, Notts Forest, Stoke.

If you haven’t already guessed, then those teams represent the heartbreak of our 29 FA Cup exits from Ricky Villa’s winning goal in 1981 to Yaya ending the curse in 2011.

Apart from Boundary Park in 2005 I attended all those defeats, yet at some point during the journey, the FA Cup lost its charismatic charm.

So we now find ourselves treating a replay as though it’s worse than a defeat.

United won the competition last year, but still sacked their Manager, and even today’s half time announcer joked that Huddersfield had a bigger game against Reading in midweek.

All very strange, and if I’m totally honest, a bit sad.

Well done attending all those games, impressed.

Agree about the fa cup, it seems to be going like the carling/league/efl cup.... teams don have it as a priority, no money in it and even worse it gets in the way of the money games.

BBC have it as a priority though, it,s the only football they got left, fkin annoys me when they start highlighting teams 'disrespecting' the cup, just cos it,s their baby

said this for ages.

remove 3rd/4th place for Champions League and give them to the winners of the league cup and Fa Cup.

BUT only if they play strongest team throughout.

Cant wait for the replay, i hope we see Sterling/Sane starting.

said this for ages.

remove 3rd/4th place for Champions League and give them to the winners of the league cup and Fa Cup.

If they win the trophy it would be hard to prove they weren't playing their strongest team (though if it was us I'm sure the FA would find a way).

said this for ages.

Teams could end up getting into the Chumps League by beating a few lower league sides and the odd Premier League side, not very fair.
The FA Cup is finished sadly, i loved the competition as a kid but when you see even lower league sides putting out weakened sides you know the game is up.

The problem is the money on offer so as a club would you rather maintain your premier league status or win the cup. Ask a Boro fan for instance and they will say they would rather win the cup, ask the owner and he would rather the £100 million or whatever it is for staying in the league. Because of this managers are prioritising the league games and won't risk injuries in the cup

Our season tickets are on DD,so I presume just come out of that account mate,but I'll check card details now,but don't ever remember giving them to be honest.....it's been that long since we had a home game in FA Cup !!

I thought that for Champs League cup games until they cancelled my cup scheme as my bank card has been replaced.

Also, with direct debit they have to give you 2 weeks notice before any "change in payment" or different payments - so a cup reply this soon is difficult to manage

Teams could end up getting into the Chumps League by beating a few lower league sides and the odd Premier League side, not very fair.
The FA Cup is finished sadly, i loved the competition as a kid but when you see even lower league sides putting out weakened sides you know the game is up.

it be a great way for some who's won a Major English trophy to get into Europe. Not finish 3rd/4th

But i understand it would never happen :( for the exact reason you mentioned.

FA Cup declines as Premier League and Champions league grows , but I want to go back to Wembley. Surely ever blue does.

Don't get complacent

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.