Researching your heritage

I found out that my Great, Great , Great Grandfather made his fortune in the USA selling indigestion tablets. He was one of the early setlers.:-)

My own research was intriguing.....turns out I could get absolutely nothing on me mothers side.and I do mean nothing.not even her mother's birth cert which I knew was Glasgow. Fathers grandpa was born in Bow, landan. Had himself another little family in brum before running off to Mcr with a Welsh girl and knocking out 11 kids.,.my grandad being the youngest. The great granny was listed as being a non English speaker!. I
Fascinating stuff when you dig.

How long ago was that peoffrey? Thankfully I didn't find anything like that. Then again when you're researching ancestors from long ago you obviously don't know all the stories regarding what went on in their lives.

I think it was late fifties / early sixties. My Grandparents relocated from East London to South Wales and also changed their surname. I was never told the story until I asked mum about the move.

Just bumping this as didnt want to start a new thread if one existed...

Do the recommendations for Ancestry still stand?

My daughter just got the results from 23andMe...its more of a DNA tracing system, including health breakdown....and its prompted me to consider a family tree as i know little/nothing of anything passed my grandparents!

My daughter just got the results from 23andMe...its more of a DNA tracing system, including health breakdown....and its prompted me to consider a family tree as i know little/nothing of anything passed my grandparents!
Sign up for the free month. Use it in tandem with the other free sites mentioned and you should dig up some info.

A small warning about the Mormon one. My uncle is of the persuasion and he has access to the database. When I was over in 2018 I saw him add records that had no historical accuracy.

I used his log in and did a few searches of my own and there were errors.

But, as I said, cross reference and you'll be fine.

My mum has been with ancestry for about 8 years. Well worth the subscription in my opinion. Pretty straightforward to use.

If you sign up you can get 16.5% cashback if you go through top cashback.

Sign up for the free month. Use it in tandem with the other free sites mentioned and you should dig up some info.

A small warning about the Mormon one. My uncle is of the persuasion and he has access to the database. When I was over in 2018 I saw him add records that had no historical accuracy.

I used his log in and did a few searches of my own and there were errors.

But, as I said, cross reference and you'll be fine.
Yeah gonna have to do a ring round of relatives to try and get as much info as possible first...lay out what i know, and make a start.

There is quite a bit of military history on both my mum and dads side of the family....and my wifes side already have quite a bit.

My dad is was born in 1945 and was brought up around Moss Side...hence my affiliation with City....and he was in the Marines and then the Ordinance Corp.....but ive not seen or spoken to him since 1985. I also know his dad was in the RAF and was shot down in WW2....but im just not sure what military records will show....or how much detail ill get

We wanted to research my father in law’s army history whilst planning a visit to Anzio where he landed as a gunner in WWII.
We made an appointment at the imperial War museum and gave them as much photo regimental and private information as we had.
We very very surprised and disappointed at how little information they could provide about the regimental involvement in the Anzio campaign. We got more out of the Italian Star Association.

On the other hand we have his family tree going back to the Huguenots who came here from France in the 1700s.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.