Retiring

Totally agree with that. My FIL is in this boat. Retired 12 years ago and basically for 12 years has woken up, got dressed, had breakfast, walked to the shop, read the paper, had lunch, watched the news at 1pm, watched a load of programmes like Escape to the Country, gone for a 30 min walk, had tea, watched the news again at 6, bit of TV, watch the 10pm news, bed x 364 days a year for 12 years. he deviates from that routine once a week when he goes shopping with the MIL as she can’t drive and maybe once a month when they visit someone. He looked a young 60 when he retired. He now looks 80.

That doesn’t appeal to me.
Nor me.

Mate if you have a plan great. And i get the thing about your dad dying so young.

my point , and maybei didnt clarify this, is retire ... and do what! If you have nothing to do.. nothing Planned, then whats the point.

you just turn old quicker
How on earth does anyone reach 50 plus without having spent hours thinking and planning of what they’d do if they didn’t have the “toad work hanging round their neck”?

How on earth does anyone reach 50 plus without having spent hours thinking and planning of what they’d do if they didn’t have the “toad work hanging round their neck”?
And then it happens and all plans go out of the window.

Oooh... I can go for a lunchtime pint.
Oooh... An afternoon reading.
Oooh... Put a record on.
Oooh... A bit of gardening.
Oooh... Learn to play the piano.
Oooh... Do a masters.
Oooh... Bed when I like.

And then human interaction starts going. You miss work colleagues. The missus carries on working. All your mates are still working. Days turn into days turn into days.

Then you get a part time job.

Heyho... Back at work.

Not missed anyone I ever worked with.
Wife doesn’t work.
We spent years talking about what we’d do and spent most of the time since I retired doing it.
All my mates are retired too, that’s how we play golf twice a week, go on golfing weekends, over three years we spent a week cruising the Thames from its first navigable point to where it becomes tidal, etc, etc.
Over ten years now of doing exactly what I want.
Part time job?
Forget it!

Last edited:
If you’ve got enough to keep you occupied it takes a lot of stress out of your life, I stopped at 46, love it, don’t have much money and can’t take my pension, but can get to the pub and football, the odd holiday, I don’t need much more in my life, ever been more content

That would suit me too as I would be busy but having a school age child scuppers it to be honest. Cash drain kids are and I’m finding out owning a dog is too!

That would suit me too as I would be busy but having a school age child scuppers it to be honest. Cash drain kids are and I’m finding out owning a dog is too!

b43355940d029e720d09e3510c9c2a52.jpg

We’re worth it :-)

Wife doesn’t work.
We spent years talking about what we’d do and spent most of the time since I retired doing it.
All my mates are retired too, that’s how we play golf twice a week, go on golfing weekends, over three years we spent a week cruising the Thames from its first navigable point to where it becomes tidal, etc, etc.
Part time job?
Forget it!
Sounds perfect matey

I was furloughed for three months and didn't miss work at all and in three months, I hardly watched any daytime tv and only watched two films during the day

Wife doesn’t work.
Part time job?
Forget it!
That's where I went wrong. Retire at 46, Wife loves her job, doesn't need to work really so refused leaving me on my own during the day.

We have a nice life, and have a load of holidays but I need to do a bit a week just to get out of the house. Another 5 years and she'll stop.

Then we'll do it properly. 6 months abroad, 6 at home.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.