Retiring

I’ve missed 32 years effectively, I’d have to have a serious look at it and crunch the numbers. I didn’t even know I got it for my school years until I checked.
Have a look at how much you will actually get.

You will have your Fire pension and the state pension should be considered as a top up to that.
Its not a worry about the state pension because the minimum is more that £125 a week and a lot of people have just that and nothing else.

Your wife is not credited NI for every year of child benefit. She is credited until the youngest child is 12.
Yeah, sounds about right. Point is, you get credited for more than your working years and it can add up nicely (depending on what your expectations were to start with!!!)

Also if you are a carer and get carers allowance you get full NI credit too and if you are a grandparent under state pension age looking after grandkids so the parents can work (and therefore paying NI) you can be credited with their NI credits they get through child benefit.

Last edited:

You will have your Fire pension and the state pension should be considered as a top up to that.
Its not a worry about the state pension because the minimum is more that £125 a week and a lot of people have just that and nothing else.
Ye I know pal, personally I don’t think it would be worth it it says you can buy 10 years at around £800 a year so £8k. It would bump it up by £20 a week I’d get around £1k etc a year so I would have to live to 76 to start getting it back, tbh I don’t think I’ll need it then lol

My state pension is £599 per month
I worked for 3 month at Pauldens ( Debenhams) after leaving school at 15 then joined the Royal Navy for 8 years after working at a bakery for 12 month I was in the Health Service for 30 years till i got made redundant then 5 years as a driving instructor .From 1969 to 2015. I was out of work for 5 month .So after working about 45 years my State Pension ain't great
I used the dot.govuk calculator before my pension date and always came up saying would get £700 plus per month oops
Since I got my state pension my health service pension now gets taxed
I can manage but feel for people who will be getting state pension in the next few years as some like me might get a bit of a shock

In the fire service we only found this out a few years ago, nobody knew we were paying less in NI than we should’ve been! That’s now been rectified however I’m way to near retiring for me to gain anything for it. You can go on the government website to see how many years youve contributed, currently you need to do 35 years and it will give you a projection for your state pension. Interestingly I found out I went into 6th form at 16 years old and the government pays your stamp! I thought I hadn’t made 35 years but I have thanks to that.
I went on the .govuk website it always said I was getting £700 plus bit of a shock when I didn't get it

Ye I know pal, personally I don’t think it would be worth it it says you can buy 10 years at around £800 a year so £8k. It would bump it up by £20 a week I’d get around £1k etc a year so I would have to live to 76 to start getting it back, tbh I don’t think I’ll need it then lol
You cannot buy back more than the last 6 years.

My state pension is £599 per month
I worked for 3 month at Pauldens ( Debenhams) after leaving school at 15 then joined the Royal Navy for 8 years after working at a bakery for 12 month I was in the Health Service for 30 years till i got made redundant then 5 years as a driving instructor .From 1969 to 2015. I was out of work for 5 month .So after working about 45 years my State Pension ain't great
I used the dot.govuk calculator before my pension date and always came up saying would get £700 plus per month oops
Since I got my state pension my health service pension now gets taxed
I can manage but feel for people who will be getting state pension in the next few years as some like me might get a bit of a shock
The online calculator is very hit and miss.
For an accurate estimate phone up or ask for one to be sent to you through the online request link.

The online calculator is very hit and miss.
For an accurate estimate phone up or ask for one to be sent to you through the online request link.
About 2 years ago 5 of us enquired round the same time. We were all given it in writing that we would all get £700 plus
All had completely different circumstances.Some were part time while another had spent many years receiving benefits.
So I think even getting it in writing is hit & miss
It only when you receive it, you realise what a pathetic amount it is for a life time of work & after paying into the system all your working life

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.