Retiring

Enjoy it... I lasted 11 months as it looks like I'll be starting with my old customer after being asked to join their team.. I could start as early as this week... Amazing as I really wasn't looking to work again
thanks and congratulations. if I can enjoy summer / autumn, then see what's around to get me through the dark winter months.

thanks and congratulations. if I can enjoy summer / autumn, then see what's around to get me through the dark winter months.
It's a pity that the opportunity that just landed for me didn't come 6 months ago... But I'll take it and see where it goes... I can always sack it if it's not what I expected it to be...

It does cost but there are free pension calculators and the government have some retirement advice sites... Google the Pensions Advisory Service

Thanks trouble is with me I dont understand it very well.

Just looked at buying an annuity for 100k and that gives me 1800 a year ! My rent is 800 per month !

I dont have any debt and am good with living within my means just dont understand how piss poor pensions seem to be, to me my pot seems massive ;) if I took it all out to live on I could live comfortably until I pop off ! ( I think lol )

Just looked at buying an annuity for 100k and that gives me 1800 a year ! My rent is 800 per month !

I dont have any debt and am good with living within my means just dont understand how piss poor pensions seem to be, to me my pot seems massive ;) if I took it all out to live on I could live comfortably until I pop off ! ( I think lol )
The annuity rate seems very low,do you qualify for impaired life annuity have you considered drawing down on your pension?

I would say retiring at state pension age with £100k and being frugal is easily done, but retiring much earlier would be a challenge. I got higher figures for a healthy 55yo on the Aviva calculator with that pot (around £3300) and it increased to £4500 for a 65yo. You can take the 25% of course which would give £12500 pa to live on for the two years upto 67, but then your annuity will be lower at around £3400. The 25% wouldn't be enough for more than 2 years I wouldn't have thought.

Regarding value, you just take your pension pot and divide it by the number of years you expect to live. If you're 55 with a £100k pot, with avg life expectany at 82, then £100k/27 = £3700 pa. You get less if you're healthy as you will probably live another 5 years, so £100k/32 = £3125.

Figures will obviously go down if you add dependants, protect your fund payments if the worst happens etc..

The annuity rate seems very low,do you qualify for impaired life annuity have you considered drawing down on your pension?

No I haven't looked at drawing down. I guess I will have to get a financial advisor.

If I didnt have to pay rent I would be in a much better place, but ex got the house and I cant see us getting a council place. Paying private rent is a killer !

I would say retiring at state pension age with £100k and being frugal is easily done, but retiring much earlier would be a challenge. I got higher figures for a healthy 55yo on the Aviva calculator with that pot (around £3300) and it increased to £4500 for a 65yo. You can take the 25% of course which would give £12500 pa to live on for the two years upto 67, but then your annuity will be lower at around £3400. The 25% wouldn't be enough for more than 2 years I wouldn't have thought.

Regarding value, you just take your pension pot and divide it by the number of years you expect to live. If you're 55 with a £100k pot, with avg life expectany at 82, then £100k/27 = £3700 pa. You get less if you're healthy as you will probably live another 5 years, so £100k/32 = £3125.

Figures will obviously go down if you add dependants, protect your fund payments if the worst happens etc..

Crickey my rent is over 9k year!! And will only go up

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.