Rhodes, Middleton

Talking of Rhodes,do any of our older Bluemooners from Middleton remember "The Colossus of Rhodes" which was the huge 350 ft chimney stack that towered over that part of Middleton. It was demolished in 1981 but was a familiar landmark to all who drove down Manchester Old Road on the way into/leaving Middleton town centre. I used to go swimming in the nearby reservoir in Alkrington Woods during the hot summers of 1975 and 1976 as I was too tight to pay the entrance fee into Middleton Baths.
I remember that. It was close to the Prestwich & Middleton Rugby club if I recall. Our kid used to play for them (and I even turned out once when they were desperate).

Talking of Rhodes,do any of our older Bluemooners from Middleton remember "The Colossus of Rhodes" which was the huge 350 ft chimney stack that towered over that part of Middleton. It was demolished in 1981 but was a familiar landmark to all who drove down Manchester Old Road on the way into/leaving Middleton town centre. I used to go swimming in the nearby reservoir in Alkrington Woods during the hot summers of 1975 and 1976 as I was too tight to pay the entrance fee into Middleton Baths.

From memory, I think it was called 'Schwabes' chimney, and for a while was the tallest chimney in Europe

From memory, I think it was called 'Schwabes' chimney, and for a while was the tallest chimney in Europe
Sheep%20on%20Heywood%20Old%20Road.jpg

From memory, I think it was called 'Schwabes' chimney
yes schwabes chimney was demolished by ben lancaster has a farm in middleton think it took him about three years to knock it down he did it for free in return for the land

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.