Rhyl/Abergelle hollidays 1970s80s

I stayed at Sunnyvale nearly every weekend from mid 80's to mid 90's.
Each year it would get worse, although I have some good memories from there.

I lost my virginity to some scouse girl on the sand dunes
Crabbing in the rock pools when the Tide was out.
The big tyre swing in the park.
When I was about 13 I won enough money on the fruit machines in the arcade to buy myself a metal detector and spent hours searching for treasure on the beach.

I went back 2 years ago and was gutted.

Hinchcliffes chin said:
who used to go? used to love it down there as a kid staying on golden sands in a caravan,renting out them 'social bikes' with the big wooden bench seats on the front,walking along the sea wall to the fair and then on too the 'black cat' amusement arcades great days,it used to be a decent place to go back then,run down isn the word now a days although still worth a mooch round the market at tir prince for a day out!That castle at abergelle 'gwyrch castle' used to be great,fireworks displays on a saturday night and medi evil jousting competitions plus a market on a sunday!
Wow, i could have wrote that....my parents had a caravan on winkups so me and my brother would spend the entire summer and all school hols there. Going back there now is heartbreaking,see how it as declined.

I took my 2 nippers for a long weekend in Towyn (Golden Gate caravan park) about a month ago and they had a great time. For me though it was sad to see how much the area had gone downhill even since i used to go as a kid (10-15 years ago) think its typical of a lot of seaside resorts these days :(

I got a few pals who live in Rhos-On-Sea though so i at least got a decent night out while i was down there (THE BOATHOUSE!!!)

Bigg Bigg Blue said:
sparky1 said:
Stayed at Shitvale or was it Sunnyvale camp site on the other side of the iron bridge in Rhyl in the late 70's as a 17 year old. Great nights in the Bierkeller in Rhyll. There was always a bit of lumber with the scousers. It always started out as a bit of good natured banter.
In the early 70's stayed at Prestatyn holiday camp facing the Robin Hood campsite.
Happy days but I wont be going back.

Sunnyvale camp, we used to go there for a week when I was a kid back in the 60's. It was great then but as a kid you did not know any better.
After a few years we went up market and stayed in a flat on Edward Henry street, happy days but what a shithole now.

Edward Henry street is now one of the worst streets in Rhyl,well maybe all of the north west

whyalwaysLee said:
We have a lodge up in the hills behind Prestatyn, near Llanasa. We go whenever the forecast says sunshine (Haven't been since the jubilee). There are views out across the Irish sea, the Dee Estuary, and Liverpool bay, and on a clear day you can see the mountain range of the lake district. No sign of any scousers or scallies up where we are, just local farmers and the odd ramblers walking along Offa's Dyke path. We've only been down to Rhyl once in 5 years, and that was for the cinema. There's still loads of things to do round there without going anywhere near the run down coast road. If you're out that way at all, I wouldn't bother coming off the A55 until you reach Rhos on sea, then take the coast road past the little orme and you then have the wonderful views of Llandudno bay. Still loads to do in Llandudno with the kids, and no dodgy arcades or 'amusements'. There is an outdoor pool on the beach and the beach itself is nice and clean. The walk up the esplanade is splendid, with the brightly coloured victorian architecture on one side and the sea on the other, and the pier is still fun for kids. The great orme is a good drive in the car and you can get out on the top and there are views across the menai straits to Angelsey and Snowdonia. Or if you really want to push the boat out, keep going along the A55 and cross the menai to Beaumaris. It's a wonderful place with a marina, decent pubs and restaurants. Or you could go inland through Denbigh to Llyn Brenig, which is great for cycling, or walk from Trefwi to Llyn Crafnant. And the amount of things to do from Llanberis is staggering. Here's some pics from my jaunts across North Wales over the last few years..

7156200633_f20f865fdb.jpg

7080838527_56d5ff5894.jpg

5824077099_77c2c14192.jpg

4946187885_89e6a732e5.jpg

4624709341_fd24871206.jpg

4579910616_ce01a40e3a.jpg

4475272961_c679350cc1.jpg

4163483921_a127668d3f.jpg

4011542865_79de967f0d.jpg

4001523525_ca1bf13720.jpg

6114447104_0e39f1baa2.jpg

Great Pics - come on though fill in the blanks for me.

2. Snowdonia somewhere?
3. As above
4. Talacre
5. Bridge over River Conwy somewhere
6. LLandudno
7. View of Anglsey from ?
8. View from the Great Orme
10 Rhos on Sea
11. Puffin Island from?

PS - Colwyn Bay is to beautiful a bay to remain in the doldrums it will come again, of that i'm sure.

blue10high said:
Bigg Bigg Blue said:
sparky1 said:
Stayed at Shitvale or was it Sunnyvale camp site on the other side of the iron bridge in Rhyl in the late 70's as a 17 year old. Great nights in the Bierkeller in Rhyll. There was always a bit of lumber with the scousers. It always started out as a bit of good natured banter.
In the early 70's stayed at Prestatyn holiday camp facing the Robin Hood campsite.
Happy days but I wont be going back.

Sunnyvale camp, we used to go there for a week when I was a kid back in the 60's. It was great then but as a kid you did not know any better.
After a few years we went up market and stayed in a flat on Edward Henry street, happy days but what a shithole now.

Edward Henry street is now one of the worst streets in Rhyl,well maybe all of the north west

We also stayed on River street and the other was John street if I remember.

Here you go

1. Llyn Gwynant
2. Snowdonia, Llyn Llydaw
3. Llanberis
4. Talacre
5. Llanrwst
6. Colwyn Bay
7. The great Orme from Llandudno beach
8. Meilden
9. Meilden
10 Rhos on Sea
11. Puffin Island from Penmon

My gran had a caravan on Millers Cottage for years, then moved onto Golden Gate

Millers Cottage club was a good laugh. Don't remember ever seeing it kick off in there. They had an Elvis tribute act who was really shit and had a hook on one hand!

Used to go down Sandbank Road on the funfair over the railway and in the amusements

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.