Richard Edghill

MJV2419 said:
Met Richard Edghill tonight at the East Lancs OSC trophy visit at Rawtenstall Cricket Club, used to watch him in his City days and I must admit I had some pre conceived ideas about footballers in general but what a top bloke he turned out to be.

Spoke passionately about his time at Manchester City during a question and answer session with those in attendance and gave an insight into his life and times as a footballer, the managers he worked for as well as some of the characters at City he played with. Listened with interest about Kinky when he joined the club as well as a good insight to the legend that is Paul Lake

After the Q&A session finished he stayed behind and spoke with anyone who approached him. True blue if ever I met one.

Well done to City as well for bringing the Premier league trophy and Charity Shield trophy for all to view and have photographs with.

I went corporate for the Everton game to celebrate my Dad's birthday and we had a proper good chat with him for 30 minutes or so. Very down to earth bloke and as you mentioned, he has a real passion for the club. Very honest too, I learnt one or two new things about the academy and behind the scenes goings on from him that I didn't know.

All of the lads who we talked were brilliant but Richard was fantastic. Top bloke.

I remember both good and poor performances in reality he was no worse than quite a few of our players at the time.

Two things stick out Soton away when hr had a head injury and was obviously still in trouble after treatment and Mick Channon was moaning on SKY he was putting it on seconds before the threw up and went down again (think that's what nappened but awhile ago).

The other was at Sheff W in the 6-2 win with the game in the balance we may even have been behiind he was injured in a tackle on the by-line, got up to block a cross and went down again holding his leg to be streatchered off. This could have been his last game.

One of us on the pitch.

MJV2419 said:
Met Richard Edghill tonight at the East Lancs OSC trophy visit at Rawtenstall Cricket Club, used to watch him in his City days and I must admit I had some pre conceived ideas about footballers in general but what a top bloke he turned out to be.

Spoke passionately about his time at Manchester City during a question and answer session with those in attendance and gave an insight into his life and times as a footballer, the managers he worked for as well as some of the characters at City he played with. Listened with interest about Kinky when he joined the club as well as a good insight to the legend that is Paul Lake

After the Q&A session finished he stayed behind and spoke with anyone who approached him. True blue if ever I met one.

Well done to City as well for bringing the Premier league trophy and Charity Shield trophy for all to view and have photographs with.

I played in a Football Aid charity match at the Etihad where Edghill was one of the legends. He dived in two footed on an opposition player and should have been sent off. The referee told him that and Edghill just let fly with a huge barrage of expletives and sulked for the rest of the match. He didn't even turn up for the after match presentations, so to me Edghill is an utterly total cünt

squirtyflower said:
Skashion said:
Wish I could have been there...
Me too
Parents Evening, finishing at quarter to seven, and the bloody A56 being shut, traffic backed up for miles. Impossible to get there on time. My Dad didn't manage to get there either, or AlthamBlue, because of the M65 and A56 being shut.

Shame you couldn't make it either.

I remember in the old main stand, a guy sat behind me used to shout "edgehill for England", every time he played. Sarcastically of course, edgy was just that.

Skashion said:
squirtyflower said:
Skashion said:
Wish I could have been there...
Me too
Parents Evening, finishing at quarter to seven, and the bloody A56 being shut, traffic backed up for miles. Impossible to get there on time. My Dad didn't manage to get there either, or AlthamBlue, because of the M65 and A56 being shut.

Shame you couldn't make it either.
Had something in work last night so stayed overnight

Was told by AlthamBlue the roads were bad, wife phoned later and told me it took her two hours to do her twenty five minute journey home

I hope it's cleared for getting home later

RIchard Edgehill. A dark stain on the reputation of our fans.

The important thing to remember is that when Edgehill was with us we were plummetting down from the top half of the Premier League to the bottom half of the third tier. Our crowds were notoriously restless and unhappy. The ground would be a theatre of anger and frustration. When Edgehill broke through he looked a real prospect. I remember him playing centre half against Newcastle and he looked like a future international. But he got an injury, came back and struggled.

And he became the whipping boy, the symbol of our ineptitude. He took some merciless abuse sometimes. That infamous game when he had a howler (someone above said Coventry but I can't remember the opponents), after his errors the crowd were so incensed that every time he got the ball there were loud boos around the ground. At the time I felt so sorry for him and so annoyed that this is what it had come to. But it was like a bonding thing amongst some city fans, a way to focus our pain. "Fucking Edgehill", someone posted above, and that was what many people referred to him as.

When we got to the second division everyone had a long hard look at themselves and there was something of an amnesty, as we all tried to rally round in that second half of the season to finally turn the club around. His form was consistent, he became popular again and a lot of people felt embarrassed about the treatment he'd been given. When the abuse was at it's worst he never moaned once, he just took it and carried on giving his all, and a lot recognised that.

And then Gillingham. He walked up to take that crucial spot kick and every single blue in the ground looked at each other. He had never, ever scored for City. A ripple of fear spread around our support and there was even a nervous, hopeful round of applause as he walked up. He was the only player to get that.

And he banged in in the top corner, turned to us fans and kissed the badge as we roared in relief. You could see the raw emotion and relief all over his face. I'm getting goosebumps now thinking of the significance of that moment.

For the way he took that abuse, got his nose to the grindstone and delivered the goods with that penalty in our hour of darkness, he deserves to be a fucking hero.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.