Richards this season

RandomJ

Now I think we can all agree last season Richards had a blinder and was easily the best English right back and should have gone to the euros etc etc. However I think we can also all agree that Zabaleta also had an amazing season and even managed to take Richards place in the team for the run in.

My question is who do you think Mancini will give preference to this season? I know it's a squad game and rotation will happen but one will be playing more than the other and I really don't know who Mancini will go for. I feel he trusts Zabaleta a lot more at the back but then we also lose Richards' ariel dominance and powerful runs forward.

It's a nice problem to have but I don't think Richards would be too happy playing second fiddle to Zabaleta.

Micah needs to look after himself a bit more too , he seems to pick up more than his share of injuries , and that won't help his case for consistency.

It wouldn't surprise me if we start with Zabaleta in the first few games depending on how Micah does during the Olympics. I know the 2 don't overlap but I think Mancini is the kind of manager who will give Richards a "rest" after playing so many games in a short period if Team GB do well.

RandomJ said:
Now I think we can all agree last season Richards had a blinder and was easily the best English right back and should have gone to the euros etc etc. However I think we can also all agree that Zabaleta also had an amazing season and even managed to take Richards place in the team for the run in.

My question is who do you think Mancini will give preference to this season? I know it's a squad game and rotation will happen but one will be playing more than the other and I really don't know who Mancini will go for. I feel he trusts Zabaleta a lot more at the back but then we also lose Richards' ariel dominance and powerful runs forward.

It's a nice problem to have but I don't think Richards would be too happy playing second fiddle to Zabaleta.

I love Richards great player he will get injured in the season and zabba is a great right back. We play 50+ games next season

Micah, all the way. He is better at the 2 positions he plays in. Zabba has the tenacity and the balls in approach that will be needed for a lot of games. It may be just in my head, but it reminds me of the Harty/Given situation (though i know Zabba is not a veteran, he has the maturity of one). Shot across the bows of Micah last season, lets hope it has the same impact of Harty at Birmingham when he returned.

For me I'd go Micah as the first choice. He had a good few assists last season. He offers width and direct penetration up the field.

Defensively, I don't see why people doubt him. Yes, he's prone to odd lapse in concentration but he is still a very astute defender and played a big role in the best defence in the league last season.

Due to his versatility Zabba will never be short of a run in the team.

I Prefer Richards, he's like a tank on that right side. Going forward and defending.

sergiokun said:
20sbc07 said:
I Prefer Richards, he's like a tank on that right side. Going forward and defending.

Me to but the last 5 games you couldn't take pablo out the team he was awesome

Agreed. I don't think he played Zaba over Richards because he's the definitve first choice RB.

Zabba was just too good to drop.

Problem Mancini has with Richards is his technical ability, i.e. his ability to receive, control and distribute the ball in a fluid team making numerous runs in front of him!

For corners, free kicks, and surging runs, he is great, even if his final ball sometimes leaves something to be desired, but to play for Man City now, you have to have technical expertise. I believe this is the same reason Milner and AJ struggle to make the team....Mancini sees them as TECHNICALLY inferior to the other choices available. I also believe that is why he constantly seems to be on the lookout for a Lescott replacement....technically sufficient for England, but not up to Mancini's standards for a potential Champions League winning team. I believe that is why Kolo got a look in last year and why a very young and inexperienced Savic was bought and bloodied....Mancini believes that Savic actually has that technical ability and that once he acclimates to the premier League and bulks up a little, he CAN be Kompany's long term partner.

I know, you think I'm crazy, but why on earth would he buy him, and play him ahead of Kolo, if this was not spot on?! Oh, and to bring it full circle, Richards' lack of technical ability is also the reason why he was not the first choice to slide in to the middle when we needed cover at CB!

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.