Ridiculous things from City's history

Truly bizarre and typical City this.

I'm really hoping some of our senior fans can also remember this game as I only have fading memories.
As a kid in the early 60's I recall a midweek night game, dark and raining but can't remember who we played.
We got a penalty at the scoreboard end, the full team lined up in a straight line to take the penalty, the first player jumps over the ball and this was repeated by every player until the last one took it and scored.
The ref wouldn't let the goal stand and the penalty was retaken the traditional way which was duly missed.
Not certain but the ref claimed City still had another player in the area when the penalty was actually scored.

Ring any bells?

Truly bizarre and typical City this.

I'm really hoping some of our senior fans can also remember this game as I only have fading memories.
As a kid in the early 60's I recall a midweek night game, dark and raining but can't remember who we played.
We got a penalty at the scoreboard end, the full team lined up in a straight line to take the penalty, the first player jumps over the ball and this was repeated by every player until the last one took it and scored.
The ref wouldn't let the goal stand and the penalty was retaken the traditional way which was duly missed.
Not certain but the ref claimed City still had another player in the area when the penalty was actually scored.

Ring any bells?

If that actually happened, wow. And we complained about Henry and Pires taking the piss.

James H Reeve often talks about the time a pelican, which had escaped from Belle Vue Zoo, landed on the Platt Lane Stand and, I think the pitch, during a game. I was once told a story about the QPR first Monday night Premier League game. Fireworks were let off at the end and the 'whole new ball game' stuff that happened was bizarre (Red Devils parachuting in and getting booed when they were announced; Baker Street played on the pitch etc.) but the next day one of the residents from Thornton Road went into reception carrying a cage with a dead parrot inside (I know it sounds like a Monty Python sketch). The man was angry. He complained that when the game ended and the fireworks went off they surprised his parrot so much that he had a heart attack and fell off his perch! He then said "If you'd warned the residents that there'd be fireworks at the game's end I could have prepared him for the shock!"

James H Reeve often talks about the time a pelican, which had escaped from Belle Vue Zoo, landed on the Platt Lane Stand and, I think the pitch, during a game. I was once told a story about the QPR first Monday night Premier League game. Fireworks were let off at the end and the 'whole new ball game' stuff that happened was bizarre (Red Devils parachuting in and getting booed when they were announced; Baker Street played on the pitch etc.) but the next day one of the residents from Thornton Road went into reception carrying a cage with a dead parrot inside (I know it sounds like a Monty Python sketch). The man was angry. He complained that when the game ended and the fireworks went off they surprised his parrot so much that he had a heart attack and fell off his perch! He then said "If you'd warned the residents that there'd be fireworks at the game's end I could have prepared him for the shock!"
Brilliant

Having players sent off for walking aggressively and also for kissing the referee, the legends that were Kevin Horlock and Andy Morrison.

Getting fined more for being a minute late onto the pitch for a European game, than our opponent did for racism chants and gestures towards our player in the same game.

The napkin with our transfer targets on.

Promotion to division one thanks to a goal that went in off Trevor Merely's arse.

I'm sure I also remember one game where one of our players launched the ball at the referee and knocked his false teeth out.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.