#26 | Riyad Mahrez - 2020/21 Performances

Status
Not open for further replies.
I’m not a hater of his and at times love watching him for some of his pure skill.At the same time I can totally understand why he drives people mad and so many wouldn’t want him in the team. What’s surprised me most since he’s been here is how poor his finishing is. Suppose that’s because I’d seen the complications of some great goals at Leicester and to be fair he’s scored some belters for us. However the amount of times he completely misses the target with time and space from 20 yards or less is very poor. The one last night for example was terrible and not unusual.

Back at Leicester, Mahrez was more often the "link" to Vardy's poaching ability. He scores goals here and there, but he's usually the creative force in the team. I feel Mahrez shines if he's allowed to play narrower, sorta of an attacking midfielder/playmaker. Unfortunately, we have an abundance of players who uses that playmaking/attacking mid hole better (KdB, Bernardo, Foden, Gundo...).

What we need from the wings, are players who can get into spaces to poach these through-balls, crosses, etc. Mahrez is often late to react to through balls/crosses, or just lacked the physicality to beat out the defenders to get on the end of these. It's understandable, because he's just not that kind of player. That's why Sterling starts so often for Pep.

For comparison's sake, we needed a 'Salah', but we got an 'Ozil' instead.

Can never understand why we signed him , he isnt a Pep style of player ,he is bone idle doesnt press the opposition and is so easily knocked off the ball and shows very little determination , he is everything Pep doesnt want in a player. If he was sold tomorrow we wouldnt miss him , we have far better players in his position.
It seemed like we'd committed to the player personally and then Leicester, having just lost Kante, started upping the fee and £90 million was being bandied about and so once it came back down we felt duty bound to see it through. He's a 'marmite' type of player that's for sure!

He’s 30 in a couple of weeks. Need to offload him this summer if we’re to recoup any of the money we spent on him. Technically gifted, but very little pace and a heart like a field mouse. You can get a tune out of him if he’s got oceans of space, but against a low block where space is at a premium and physical contact likely, he’s worse than useless. I lost count of the times he tried to cut inside last night and promptly got robbed of the ball, and when he does go on the outside - preceded always by a stepover - he never has the acceleration to get far enough ahead of the covering fullback to prevent any subsequent cross being blocked at source. Plus he’s greedy. We carry him way too often in games. I’d be happy to see the back of him for someone younger and quicker
Let's hope PSG are genuinely interested in FFS. He has no pace and is a showboat player and when the going gets tough he goes awol.

I dont rate him...he's 1% spectacular and 99% underwhelming.

We slagged Pogba for being a showpony but i feel this also describes mahrez to a tee. Sell him and bring in pace...pace is the one think we have been lacking to get us to the byline.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.