Riyad Mahrez

Status
Not open for further replies.
What's special about October? Seems a random time to start.

Because he couldn’t be arsed before October?

Mixed feelings about this one. He strikes me as very talented but inconsistent . Best mate is a Leicester st holder and he doesn’t even rave about him that much, certainly he’d be less happy if we went in for Steptoe or Harry McGuire. Still, good enough for Pep, good enough for me.

Our front 3 right as it stands is Raheem on the left, Aguero, Bernardo. Our rotation for those 3 spots is Brahim. Zinchenko is a midfielder. That's not sustainable for 6-7 weeks (with Jesus eventually returning) unless we plan to run those three into the ground. I'm not saying the answer is a huge signing but depth needs to be added anyway particularly a backup/rotational option for Leroy. If signing Mahrez can push Raheem to the left occasionally to give Sane rest when he needs it I'm all for it. Like I said I don't know if a huge signing is needed but one certainly is atm.
Imagine if we lose one of those 3 for 2 months we are really thin up front right now

Imagine if we lose one of those 3 for 2 months we are really thin up front right now
I understand that concern but that is a slippery slope argument.

Based on that we need to sign two or three more forwards to fill the gap until the others recover (and just in case the one we sign now gets hurt).

Eventually we need to use our academy, yes? I mean, we can say we want youth to come through all we want but if we are not even willing to play (almost universally recognised) incredibly promising youngsters when we are still in all competitions and 12 points up in the league then when in the world are they going to get the chance?

At some point most of our youth starlets will demand moves away and all of our rhetoeric will have just been lip service to an exclusively Chelsea-esque loan-for-profit system.

Based on that we need to sign two or three more forwards to fill the gap until the others recover (and just in case the one we sign now gets hurt).

Eventually we need to use our academy, yes? I mean, we can say we want youth to come through all we want but if we are not even willing to play (almost universally recognised) incredibly promising youngsters when we are still in all competitions and 12 points up in the league then when in the world are they going to get the chance?

At some point most of our youth starlets will demand moves away and all of our rhetoeric will have just been lip service to an exclusively Chelsea-esque loan-for-profit system.
I'm not saying we shouldn't be looking to bring youth through. But even with the youth we are short up front atm. Even with Brahim we only have a 4 man rotation with Raheem and imo Bernardo playing out of their best position (Raheem on the left Bernardo on the right as I think he should be central). The risk we run is one of the main three (Bernardo, Raheem, Sergio) wearing out coming into the tail-end of the season when all the silverware is on the line. Like I said in my previous post I don't think we need such an expensive winger but a winger would be very useful right now. Continue to give Diaz 20 minutes a week or so as the rotation guy at the end of games and go from there.

John Percy was reporting yesterday that Leicester will hold out for £90m - http://www.telegraph.co.uk/football...rget-leicester/amp/?__twitter_impression=true. Percy is god tier for Leicester, so I'm willing to believe that. And if that's really the asking price, I hope and wish that City are looking at other players. If we pay £90m for Mahrez now, it'll come back to haunt us during the summer when every club will quote an inflated price because of that.

for £90M, Leicester can keep him.
Mahres is good, but not £90M good.
City can sign similar talent but less money from French League and Bundesliga.

When we already had a fit Sané Kun Sterling and Jesus we still tried to sign Sanchez last Summer. We had a look again this month but are now looking elsewhere.

Whether we have injuries or not we will sign a fifth forward at some point.

There is not another 17 year old getting into any other elite team in Europe that I know of so why would that be different at City? Neither Foden nor Diaz have shown they’re ready in terms of ability (a good U17 WC isn’t showing readiness for an elite European open age team), and neither of them look physically ready. Both have lost the ball by being outmuscled very easily in game time they’ve both had so far.

What you’ll notice about youth players moving on, they move on when they aren’t good enough. If they were good enough they’d get games.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.