#16 | Rodri - 2020/21 Performances

Status
Not open for further replies.
That's true for all of them tbf

True. I like to see defensive players shut out these chances though. We gave Wolves way too many 2nd half. I’m not sure what happened to allow that. Were the front four burnt out? Possibly leading to a load more pressure on the back four and midfield two (Fern was excellent both halves for me) The front four certainly weren’t as effective so I’m guessing fatigue played a part.

Gave the ball away and fouled at the wrong time towards the end in addition to letting Troure run off after a token effort early in the second half

I’m not having him. I don’t care how many 5 yard passes he makes. At money time I don’t think he’s up to it

Thought him and Dinho were excellent tbh, completely nullified them through the middle. Both stepped in and bullied the Wolves players any time they tried to get a foot on the ball and retain any meaningful possesion in the middle of the park, along with the pressing of the front players.

Unfortunately that led to them eventually almost completely giving up on that and just going down the flank and in behind, where we didn't deal with it well at all, but we completely bossed them down the middle. Don't think the plan is working as intended if it involved asking Rodri to go out to the wing and get into foot races with wingers, I suspect that's someone else not doing their job and him trying to cover for them and it going about as well as expected

Easily one of the best games he's played for us. Fernandinho was good but Rodri was the pillar their players were bouncing off. Last season he was too "go with the flow" for the position he was playing but vs Wolves was more proactive in winning the ball, quicker decision making in possession and his use of the ball was great. Built like a tank but the only games I saw him bully players like that last season were the few he was at centre back when the game was coming more to him. Hopefully doing a Fernando/Javi Garcia style improvement after a season to adapt.

Moutinho and Neves though are not the physical dogs of war type midfield we've mostly struggled against. They're nice footballers who want to pass it around and won't be bursting from midfield, similar to Madrid with Modric and Kroos. Hope he's as engaged in the game vs Spurs and Liverpool.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.