#16 | Rodri - 2020/21 Performances

Status
Not open for further replies.
The current issue for me (not saying it won’t change), is that most times he has an option to move the play forward or backward/side wards, he takes the backward/side wards option and sucks the impetus out of any advantage we have. We’re currently faced with banks of defenders and need to transition the ball forward quickly when we get the chance. He isn’t doing that, and it’s currently frustrating to watch.

Having said all that, if Pep keeps picking him then he’s seeing something I’m not, and I’m more than happy to go with it, but I just wish it was better than it is.

In some of his early games he seemed more combative and dynamic than what we’re currently seeing, so I’m still hoping he’ll expand into the player I saw glimpses of early.
You said it yourself "an option to move the play forward" option being the key, when the option is not there he doesn't lose possession by trying and when the option is there he mostly passes it forward. As he gains experience he will get better at taking the correct option.

There isn't and never will be the second Fernandinho, so team has to move on. Of course there was Alan from Napoli and maybe some others - but no one worse to be playing here.

That's why considering the options club had and the players that are playing in the big clubs (like Casemiro or Hojberg or Fabinho and etc) Rodri is great purchase and he does what he has to do efficiently, Debruyne is untouchable as well.

The problem is the third midfielder..

Pep has tried Gundogan, Bernardo, Foden there during the last 2 years and Gundogan appeared the best solution. But the fact itself that Gundogan is the best solution somewhere is frightening, so it means that KEY to the improvement of our midfield trio is to find a decent player on that position and preferably the one - that will balance Rodri as well.

I think Pep can use Spain as the reference and Fabian Ruiz from Napoli is a great pair for Rodri, they are playing together, covering each other and if it works for Spain, why not for City.

--------
I mean - yes you can sell Rodri and search for the replacements but Gundogan still stays and the ones that aren't able to fill David Silva`s boots.

Problem is absence of David Silva and not Fernandinho... (I think)
Yes we miss Silva, when we won back to back titles whenever he missed a few games we missed him. We are now in transition we miss him even more, let's hope we get a similar type player soon, to complement Rodri and DeBruyne. Maybe in time Foden will be the one but he is still relatively inexperienced and in a full 90 minutes sometimes for all his brilliance it shows.

I will probably get absolute pelters on here for suggesting it but he reminds me of early Yaya without the goals and assists (and much better in the air).

Once he gets the ball its almost impossible to get it off him and he usually distributes it excellently, he also doesnt need a Barry/De Jong/Fernandinho to do the 'dirty work' as ghe gets through plenty.

If he can add in 5+ goals a season from the edge of the box (which he clearly has the shooting abiity for) that would be excellent.
Sad if you get pelted for what many would consider, stating the obvious.

No one controls and completed passes better under pressure than he does. He simply walks away from pressure and finds a pass that doesn't put his teammates under pressure.

His cerebral little touch passes to break pressure are amazing too.

For those who keep saying they don't see what he does, I'm going to get my nephew to make a compilation of the little passes and decisions that makes a huge difference.

Just for starters (as this can be seen on highlights) check his positioning to intercept the ball on our first goal, and the "sideways" pass that opened up our play for the setup to Mahrez goal.

But I'll try to put a video together of us getting out of pressure because of something simple he does.

It happens so often it almost seems normal. But others don't seem to be able to do the same.
Have you noticed how often he intercepts, passes, tackles without mention by tv commentators and pundits, it's as if he isn't on the field. Maybe some of his critics here assume because his name isn't continuously shouted out he is not playing well or maybe they just cannot see the overall picture.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.