Rodri Understudy

he can still play for the 8 that's there, who that is, is irrelevant to what he can/cant do
Not relevant to what he can or can’t do I agree. Relevant to whether it’s a likely or unlikely transfer for us. Still not convinced it isn’t Paqueta or Bruno or somebody else entirely., find the idea it is both bery unlikely.

Rodri is league of his own, there is none out there that will even close to match the output of his contribution this season on that position.

Even if it was, why would they want to be seen as backup in our club when they can bee the main starter in any other top club.

John Stones or a couple of our current Central Defenders. The only issue with Stones is he is picking up more injuries.

Rodri is league of his own, there is none out there that will even close to match the output of his contribution this season on that position.

Even if it was, why would they want to be seen as backup in our club when they can bee the main starter in any other top club.
To be honest I can only see 2 options. Either a player that is at the back end of their career and happy to be a bit part player for his final contract. Or a player that can get games in a couple of positions, as I’ve said I don’t think thats somebody as expensive as Guimaraes, or to be fair any midfielder I’ve seen linked. The only player I’ve seen mentioned with us I can see fitting and getting games is Kimmich.
It’s difficult and don’t think there is a perfect answer.

I don't think you can get an understudy good enough who is willing to play second fiddle (see; Phillips). Not when Pep has shown that Rodri is the one he's most unwilling (rightly) to rotate.

One thing that's quite exciting, though, is Kovacic's role recently has shown that having somebody next to Rodri has meant he is free to go forward where we know he can be effective too. The only downside (because I like Kovacic) is that MK isn't exactly known for being good going forward.

However, if you get a player who can do both defensive and attacking work brilliantly - like Rodri - then it's a recipe for success because they can rotate throughout the game making it even harder for the opposition to mark because they'll have their own ways of getting into attacking areas.

At that point you're looking at players like Gundo and Bruno at Newcastle. I'm sure there's more but I'm not wary enough of them.

Annoyingly, Rice would've been perfect.

Think we need to get an older player in who will be happy with limited game time.
Someone similar to endo that the dippers signed this year.

Neves - dream
Bruno - realistic
Maxi Perrone - impressive project player, maybe?

Doubt it, he will either stay or go somewhere he isn't anyones understudy.
Tbh you’re missing the point of what we actually need. The last thing we need is a Rodri understudy, who can only play when Rodri doesn’t. The best player we can bring in on the understanding that he only plays 5-10 games per season is not going to be good enough.

What we need is Bruno Guimaraes (or similar). Someone who will play WITH Rodri and is also able to cover him when he’s not there. So someone who can play as a 6 and an 8, like Gundo did. And that’s why we want Bruno G. He is the one.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.