rolling stones

Gaudino said:
crizack said:
Never liked them until last week when I heard 'under my thumb' I thought it was a good song and started listening to more. Their lyrics are great. The same goes for lynyrd skynyrd, I'd heard sweet home alabama and freebird of films so I thought is listen to more. Man! Simple man, little girl and that smell are quality songs.

Anyone else gave a band more than one listen the thought, actually, their pretty mint.

Lynyrd Skynyrd are a class act.....always been one of my favourite bands....check ot their most recent album, God & Guns....best since the clasic line up....and they back at the Apollo on June 2nd.
are there any original members left.for me the old grey whistle test recording of freebird will always be skynyrd and never bettered.

I started listening to them when I moved to Bangkok 10 years ago as there were quite a lot of live bands playing in clubs over there that covered them. Happy, Gimme Shelter, Tumbling Dice, Under My Thumb, Beast of Burden, Brown Sugar, Angie and Miss You all feature in my iPod's top 20 most-played list.

If I could only ever listen to one band for the rest of my life, it would be the Stones of the 60s and early 70s. There stuff is so diverse.

The Exiled on Main St documentary is well worth a watch, and Keith Richards autobiography is a very decent read.

If the rumoured 2012 tour happens I'll be going. Saw them in Manchester last time - outstanding night.

exileindevon said:
Gaudino said:
crizack said:
Never liked them until last week when I heard 'under my thumb' I thought it was a good song and started listening to more. Their lyrics are great. The same goes for lynyrd skynyrd, I'd heard sweet home alabama and freebird of films so I thought is listen to more. Man! Simple man, little girl and that smell are quality songs.

Anyone else gave a band more than one listen the thought, actually, their pretty mint.

Lynyrd Skynyrd are a class act.....always been one of my favourite bands....check ot their most recent album, God & Guns....best since the clasic line up....and they back at the Apollo on June 2nd.
are there any original members left.for me the old grey whistle test recording of freebird will always be skynyrd and never bettered.

Still have Gary Rossington and Rickey Medlocke (who was the drummer in the original band, before leaving to form Blackfoot as singer/guitarist...he now pays guitar in LS) And singer Johnny Van Zant has been in the band far longer than late brother Ronnie now. Purists may not like it so, but I have no hproblem with it, as they are carrying on the music in the true spirit of the band....and unlike say the current 'Thin Lizzy' continue producing new albums all the time rather than just rest on the back catalogue.

And it certainly isn't a problem for this lot either......we have been on the last three of these trips.....amazing....and not just LS, but 17 other bands onboard....another planned for this October....

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pJwhKyFBEBc[/youtube]

And for anyone into them in the Bolton area, check out AYNT SKYNYRD, a band from York (who put us onto the cruise way back) playing at the Railway in Bromley Cross this coming Saturday....Hell Yeah!

de niro said:
i see to remember a like conflict round our way, you were either a stones fan or a beatles fan.

beatles for me, love me do is still class.

time for a barm v muffin thread.

They were both influenced by the great man himself

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KjKKrskl608&feature=related[/youtube]

Not a massive stones fan but i saw them play Maine Rd in '90 . Jagger was amazing as the spotlight hit him 100ft above the stage singing 'sympathy fot the devil'. They looked old then though, must be fosils now!

To the OP If you like Skynard, try Neil Young. He's done some good stuff but he's not to everones taste.

There is a light said:
One of my favourite bands of all times and cool as fuck into the bargain. Have to admit their lyrics don't make much sense to me at times but it doesn't take away from their sound.

For me their Mick Taylor era albums are the best.. Sticky Fingers, Exile on Main Street and Let it Bleed I believe.

Yeah, Mick Taylor oozed talent, blew Keith off the stage so Keith got rid of him LOL

I liked the early phase as well with Brian, but since Ronnie joined theyve been bobbins imo of course...

Yesterday at half time they played 'Paint It Black' by The Rollong Stones.

We were 3 - 0 down but it still raised my spirits - said to my mate it was amazing that it was 2012 and a 40 odd year old tune was being played at a derby and it still sounded great.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.