Roque and Robben

ye good point on robben and glen johnson but come on who are the rest average players not gud enough for burnley

Real Madrid have warned Arjen Robben that they are prepared to leave him out of their squad next season if he refuses to leave the club this summer. The Dutchman is not keen to leave the Santiago Bernabéu and his father responded to reports of a move to Tottenham Hotspur by insisting there was "no way" his son would sign for the White Hart Lane club. But Robben has been left in little doubt as to his position at Madrid.

The club's director general, Jorge Valdano, has admitted: "It would be better if Robben listened to the offers coming in for him." And it has now emerged that he has threatened the Dutchman with the possibility of being banished to the stands in a World Cup year if he insists on staying. Robben risks being left without a squad number and not being registered for La Liga or the Champions League.

Madrid consider Robben too injury prone to stay at the Bernabéu and have earmarked Bayern Munich's Franck Ribéry to occupy his position on the left of the attack. The club's adviser, Zinedine Zidane, has said that Madrid "will do all we can to sign Ribery". Although sources at the club play down its significance, Robben is not helped by his status as Ramon Calderon's marquee signing – the one promise the former president kept.

However, the central reason for wanting to sell Robben is financial, as Madrid seek to recoup some of the money spent on Cristiano Ronaldo and Kaka and to raise cash to make more signings this summer. Madrid already have 30 players in their squad and plan to sign as many as five more, with the president, Florentino Pérez, tonight claiming the transfer of David Villa was "just a matter of time". Spanish league rules allow for only 25 first-team squad members.

That has left Madrid looking to offload as many as nine current players and Robben is top of the list. He is the one expendable player for whom Madrid believe they can command a major fee. He joined the club for £24m from Chelsea two years ago and Madrid remain hopeful that, after an impressive second half to the last campaign, he could bring in as much as £30m.

Madrid will have been encouraged in their pursuit of the Liverpool midfielder Xabi Alonso after he failed to dismiss suggestions that he was looking to leave Anfield. Asked by the Cadena Ser radio station if he would be disappointed having to stay at Liverpool next season, he responded: "I can't answer that question." To which the interviewer replied: "And with that you have said it all."

Meanwhile Barcelona have met representatives of Alonso's current midfield partner, Javier Mascherano. A two-hour meeting was held between Mascherano's agent, Walter Tamer, and Barcelona in the Rey Juan Carlos I hotel in the Catalan capital. Barcelona, however, believe the ball is in Liverpool's court and Rafael Benítez says the Argentinian is not for sale.

I don't see why we don't slap down £15M for Robben. It seems obvious Robi isn't going to play there next season as we appear to be in for a striker he can play off. Let's be honest, as much as we love him, Petrov isn't of the same calibre as Robben, and I think it would be a great acquisition for us if he signed.

Robben would be a good signing IMO, I think Robbie would be better play of a striker in the centre and Petrov isn't getting any younger if I'm being harsh.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.