Roughest pub

salfordbluemcfc said:
The jockey on the chatsworth estate,you can get 2 'E's with a pint off karen behind the bar!!!!scatter!!!!

pppaaaaarrrrrttttyyyy !!!!!!!!

tangaroa said:
The Benchill in you guessed it, Benchill.

Always had a reputation and I avoided it for a long time. Was walking past it one summers day in the mid-eighties around 11.30 in the moring and decided to see what it was like. As I walked in, the only people in the place were two guys in their fifties who were having a full-on fist fight. The landlord was polishing glasses as if it was an everyday occurrence (which it probably was).

I actually remember the night of, well I think it was supposed to be a pool or darts match (something was going on anyway) and it was `The Cock `o` the North`( changed to the Talisman) v `The benchill` at `The Cock`, was like a scene from the wild west, both closed down now, think the old Cock has actually been knocked down.

The Trap in Glossop,was like the deliverance arms in there.
Went in with the Ashton blues on our way back from Derby in the early eighties, and got a right hiding for being from Ashton, apparently.
Women getting stuck into us as well,the police turned up and told us to "fuck off back to Ashton",arrested no one, took no statements, nothing.
We hadn't even finished our pints and hadn't said a word to a soul,we were just sussed and because we weren't related to the any of the hillbillies we copped it big time.
Been all over and never seen anything like it since.

Dirty Harry said:
tangaroa said:
The Benchill in you guessed it, Benchill.

Always had a reputation and I avoided it for a long time. Was walking past it one summers day in the mid-eighties around 11.30 in the moring and decided to see what it was like. As I walked in, the only people in the place were two guys in their fifties who were having a full-on fist fight. The landlord was polishing glasses as if it was an everyday occurrence (which it probably was).

I actually remember the night of, well I think it was supposed to be a pool or darts match (something was going on anyway) and it was `The Cock `o` the North`( changed to the Talisman) v `The benchill` at `The Cock`, was like a scene from the wild west, both closed down now, think the old Cock has actually been knocked down.

The benchill has a rep that's for sure, I think The Silver Birch has replaced it now since it got changed to a housing office,
The talisman got knocked down the other year :( .......... the cornishmen is still a cracking pub though.

LookMumI'mOnBlueMoon said:
Once went to a tasty little place called "The Orange Grove" in a place on the outskirts of the city called "Fallowfield".

The only claret they had on sale was a Fronsac. It was a real "eye-opener".
You must be kidding! Try the mauldeth on kingsway next time!

showboat in swinton has a bit of a rep..i spent more or less everyday from being 16 to 21 in there. until dawn and pete stopped running it. dunno what it's like now but on one night, a lad was beaten to a pulp with mic's by two women who were on karaoke, one last was killed in there about 15 years ago, people would often run in and do it over after lock ins.
2396741130_5fe8f5242f.jpg

some of the best nights of my life in there.

afewe (grants arms on royce road) went in a few times when i was livin there the other year, was out on a helloween party and when i came back...saw the biggest fucking street brawl! someone was battered and left braindamaged, with me watching dressed as a pumpkin.

Midlands Blue said:
n reddish blue said:
i have been in that pub mate when it was called " the aces" back end of gorton. i dont mean to upset the locals but that was fucking well rough...

The pub used for the Jockey was called The Wellington, and was a bit of an old man's pub. Another one that has gone now, demolished last year. (Maybe why Frank saw it taking off in the first episode of this series)
The Aces was down the other end of Gortonvilla walk. Used to be alright in there, but gradually went downhill and eventually the landlord got shot in the leg one Sunday night as someone was trying to rob it (full of customers at the time.)
That's shut as well now; some sort of fitness centre.

yes do i few calls round there the welly was a rum pub.

r.soleofsalford said:
Midlands Blue said:
The pub used for the Jockey was called The Wellington, and was a bit of an old man's pub. Another one that has gone now, demolished last year. (Maybe why Frank saw it taking off in the first episode of this series)
The Aces was down the other end of Gortonvilla walk. Used to be alright in there, but gradually went downhill and eventually the landlord got shot in the leg one Sunday night as someone was trying to rob it (full of customers at the time.)
That's shut as well now; some sort of fitness centre.

yes do i few calls round there the welly was a rum pub.

ive been in a good percentage of the pubs mentioned in this thread does that make me a piss artist.

also a good few of you older salford and town drinkers will remember vinegar vera and mike maguire a real pair of balloons

What was the Metropolitan in Didsbury called before it was turned into whatever it is now? I used to love it in there, but by god the back room was rough. I remember the gaffer walking around with a massive dog on a lead and just about everyone in there taking or dealing drugs. We used to think it was the roughest place in the world until we started going out in Hulme and Whalley Range. I remember a bloke trying to sell me acid in the Whalley, then threatening me when I said 'no thanks'.

Like someone said, if you felt uncomfortable in these places you were probably in the wrong place. Keep your head down and respect everyone and you were probably going to be all right.

[quote="The benchill has a rep that's for sure, I think The Silver Birch has replaced it now since it got changed to a housing office,
The talisman got knocked down the other year :( .......... the cornishmen is still a cracking pub though.[/quote]

Think my eldest Daughter still goes in there Scotty ( is that `Ozzies` still there aswell ?)
The pubs on/around Cornishway and Portway used to be great pubs, had loads of good childhood memories sat on the walls with an OJ in the Summer ( still have some photo`s at my Mams).

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.