Ruben Dias - Benfica confirm sale to City

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good signing but I don't think he will make a huge difference initially. Ake had a good game yesterday but even he couldn't stop us getting beat in the way we did. I just get the feeling that Pep doesn't do much work with the defence because if our attack is on point the defenders shouldn't have to defend. Trouble is a couple of long balls over the top and we are exposed time and time again on the counter, defenders are too high up the pitch and we get caught out. I feel our bigger problems are in midfield. Pep has spent over £400m on defenders, they can't all be this bad!

Still a welcome addition because we are short in this area.

Agreed fella, there’s been a lot of looking over the shoulder for him to do, We just need 4 defenders who can rely on each other & firstly just do their own jobs, I’m a big fan of Kyle Walker but having Garcia alongside him exposes us time & again, thought Ake did a great job covering Mendy who ran down blind alleys all day, although there wasn’t many occasions a player popped up in the channel for him to pass too, think that’s Phils worst position & it showed

Walker can generally (yesterday was the exception) do what he wants as he has the recovery pace to make up if he ever makes a mistake.

But when they've got to look after Garcia who, don't get me wrong I think is a very tidy footballer, but he is neither fast, or strong or tall I don't really see what he offers in such a high line.

Are does fine in the left back covering spot - as Laporte does, would just be nice to see that play out in a setting where Kyle and Laporte aren't doing all the work for the back 4, must be exhausting.

Problem with Mendy Is - nobody in that team trusts him, he can stay as high and wide as possible and nobody will give him a chance, and that's deserved - First year; Mendy would whip in delicious crosses time after time - players knew that if he had the ball they needed to get ready.

Now, after a year of turgid, run of the mill performances and bang average crosses, nobody gambles, nobody takes that chance when Mendy has the ball - so even on the off chance he swings in a peach, nobody is there at all.

I think a mobile centre mid would sort out a lot of them. Kante being linked with Utd, I'd have him in a heartbeat

Its embarrassing that people think Kante would work in this side.

This is a guy who, quite apart from having lost his physical edge since injuries took a toll, was never, ever technically good enough to play in this side.

It is insulting to fernandinho that people think Kante could ever do what he was doing from 2016-19. How Manchester City fans could watch him for all these years and not see he is on a different planet to Kante technically and in possession, and how important that is to the job he does, astounds me.

We have the ball 80% of the time. A player who looks technically out of his depth at Chelsea is never going to play under Pep Guardiola.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.