Ruby on Rails

welcometomanchester said:
Damocles said:
Just starting out on a online course learning ruby. So far it's the most elegant language I've come across. Almost seems to good to be true. I know there are a few Python fans on here but atm ruby seems brilliant.

It's too good to be true.

RoR is slower than a geriatric with bad knees, and half as secure.
Slow in what sense?

Your a python man right?

Actually, I generally sling PHP for web dev stuff though use Python for prototyping desktop apps.

Learning a new language and paradigm is certainly never a bad thing, and for the average web app, RoR will be fine. You have major trouble in scaling, but if you aren't planning on scaling too much then it isn't a concern.

When we were scaling Bluemoon from virtual server into a infrastructure based on S3 and RDS, the actual PHP code was one of the few things that was easy to handle and the amount of reverse proxies and the like that worked with PHP natively is pretty high.

As somebody else suggested, Node.js is interesting enough. I played with it for a while a few months back and had some good results but integration into our existing infrastructure would have taken almost a complete rebuild of everything so it wasn't worth using it here. It's in the toolbox if I ever need it though. Think of programming languages and methodologies as wrenches. You can probably get by on one really big one but it will take forever to solve simple problems and never really turn out correct. If you have lots of wrences, every problem becomes simple.

Damocles said:
Damocles said:
It's too good to be true.

RoR is slower than a geriatric with bad knees, and half as secure.
Slow in what sense?

Your a python man right?

Actually, I generally sling PHP for web dev stuff though use Python for prototyping desktop apps.

Learning a new language and paradigm is certainly never a bad thing, and for the average web app, RoR will be fine. You have major trouble in scaling, but if you aren't planning on scaling too much then it isn't a concern.

When we were scaling Bluemoon from virtual server into a infrastructure based on S3 and RDS, the actual PHP code was one of the few things that was easy to handle and the amount of reverse proxies and the like that worked with PHP natively is pretty high.

As somebody else suggested, Node.js is interesting enough. I played with it for a while a few months back and had some good results but integration into our existing infrastructure would have taken almost a complete rebuild of everything so it wasn't worth using it here. It's in the toolbox if I ever need it though. Think of programming languages and methodologies as wrenches. You can probably get by on one really big one but it will take forever to solve simple problems and never really turn out correct. If you have lots of wrences, every problem becomes simple.

Oh right still dont know what you are talking about though

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.