Rugby League thread

Well deserved OBE for Kevin Sinfield today.
I never got the hype for Sinfield as a player. Very talented, don't get me wrong, just not THAT great (a lot like O'Loughlin at Wigan). But, both were the heartbeat of their sides, and they (the sides) would've been lost without them.

However, Sinfield's undenying love and respect for his mate, and his (Burrow's) predicament, makes Sinfield's gong more than deserved.

Consider my hat doffed.

50 - 6 is a hell of a statement away from home, but you're right about them having to go on and win the series.

I picked them as my team years ago just because they play in light blue, but I have been pleased that there is more to my attachment than just shirt colour. They have also been the cock-up kings in times gone past, a priceless quality for City fans of a certain vintage
You’ve picked the right team (coming from a biased, born and bred New South Welshman). It’s been a rough couple of decades but we have some good youngsters and the dominant Qld team of the previous generation are no longer….they genuinely had some of the best to ever play the game. Cronk, Thurston, Smith, Inglis, Slater etc. Hopefully some successful years ahead for NSW but we’ll see. Qld never say die.

I never got the hype for Sinfield as a player. Very talented, don't get me wrong, just not THAT great (a lot like O'Loughlin at Wigan). But, both were the heartbeat of their sides, and they (the sides) would've been lost without them.

However, Sinfield's undenying love and respect for his mate, and his (Burrow's) predicament, makes Sinfield's gong more than deserved.

Consider my hat doffed.

It’s about time we saw a rugby league player knighted IMHO and maybe Rob Burrow or Kevin Sinfield should be that man.

Turning to Sinfield’s playing abilities. The great players don’t have to be the greatest athletes. They can compensate with the intelligence to spot the space for the right kick or pick out the weakest defender to make a few extra yards when their team is under the coach.
Probably the greatest RL player of the modern era, Cameron Smith, just looks like a regular guy.

I’m sure you have seen Sinfield live many times and this comment is for fans who watch most games on TV. The goggle box doesn’t do justice to some players who use their nouse. Take another example, In rugby union, pundits and team mates have raved about Martin Johnson and Richie McCaw for decades. Fans need to be at the games to fully appreciate what they did off the ball and all the ground they covered at the breakdown.

FWIW, Kevin Sinfield was a great player and captain. His points record and trophy cabinet reaffirm this.

You’ve picked the right team (coming from a biased, born and bred New South Welshman). It’s been a rough couple of decades but we have some good youngsters and the dominant Qld team of the previous generation are no longer….they genuinely had some of the best to ever play the game. Cronk, Thurston, Smith, Inglis, Slater etc. Hopefully some successful years ahead for NSW but we’ll see. Qld never say die.

Oh for the days of Carroll and Harrigan. Beating up Queenslanders then beating up each other.

Proper sport

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.