Running thread

Sounds pretty good to me, with a few ifs and buts.... Why a 10 day cycle for your long run? Most plans feature an increase in mileage every 7 days, usually a sunday which is the day the race is on.
Remember to mix slow runs and quicker ones in your training, not just for increasing speed, it will increase your much needed stamina for the marathon, you have plenty of time to get marathon ready before april, best of luck mate, try to stick at the training and you will reap the rewards on marathon day
Thanks Gaz, I was thinking 10 days as last year I got patella tendinitis during the first lockdown when I was hammering the HIIT sessions, I've managed to sort it out through rehab, a change in footwear & looking after myself better but I'm always worried in the back of my mind it'll come back again. I suspect I could do every 7 days and be fine though, I will have to decide/test it out.

At the minute my running schedule is as follows:

Monday: 5 miler
Wednesday: Quick one in the gym
Friday: 6 miler
Sat + Sun: Optional

Thinking I could replace one of the Monday/Friday ones with it or bin one and just have the big one every Sunday adding the 2 miles each time?

At the minute my running schedule is as follows:

Monday: 5 miler
Wednesday: Quick one in the gym
Friday: 6 miler
Sat + Sun: Optional

Thinking I could replace one of the Monday/Friday ones with it or bin one and just have the big one every Sunday adding the 2 miles each time?
Theres plenty on here that are more knowledgeable on this than me mate, and they will probably have better advice for you, but if it was me I would be dumping that quick one in the gym for a start, unless your gym has a huge road inside it!! The dreadmill is not the same as the road imho, I think you need to go every other day at least, think the general consensus is up it by 20 percent each week.

I’ve signed up for my first full marathon, the Manchester one on the 3rd April on the back of last weeks half. (Madness I know as never ran further than a half)

My plan is to do a long run every 10 days from 03/11 starting with a 10 miler, adding 2 miles each time until I’ve got the 24/26 miles in the bank and know I can do it. Is this a realistic way of training for it? Or would anyone have any tips for me?

Nah you'll be fine mate, just like the wankers that had huge grins on their faces riding on the marathon course last Sunday, I mean what could be more fun than riding your bike towards thousands of marathon runners?!
Seriously though the race kicks off at 9.30 and it looks like it will be a speedy one, so after say 11 you should be fine
Ha ha. We regularly ride around Goostrey, Chelford, etc on our way to Alderley Edge and I think we would be right in the middle of this.

where does it start and finish?

I’ve signed up for my first full marathon, the Manchester one on the 3rd April on the back of last weeks half. (Madness I know as never ran further than a half)

My plan is to do a long run every 10 days from 03/11 starting with a 10 miler, adding 2 miles each time until I’ve got the 24/26 miles in the bank and know I can do it. Is this a realistic way of training for it? Or would anyone have any tips for me?
Sounds like you're on it! A long run every 7-10 days is certainly appropriate for marathon training. I would agree with Gaz that weekly is probably ideal if your body will allow it.

A few tips if I may:
* The key thing with marathon training is getting your total weekly mileage up. However, the advice is usually that this should not increase by more than 10% compared to the preceding week.
* I would also apply the 10% rule to the long run. In my opinion, adding 2 miles a week is a lot and could increase your risk of injury and/or burnout. Especially if you're concerned about going easy on your body... However, there is always the element of how you feel on the day so it might be that some weeks it feels more achievable to increase by 2 miles but if it was me I wouldn't plan for that.
* It's really important that you factor in 'cutback' weeks (sometimes called 'down' weeks). You are putting your body under a lot of strain so every third or fourth week should really be a whole week of much-reduced mileage. This is to allow recovery from the training that you've been doing.
* If you can manage more than three runs per week, that will help. Also, you will find that you gradually increase the distance of your shorter midweek runs as well as you get into the plan.
* 24/26 miles is too great a distance for marathon training. The evidence shows that there's little point or benefit in running for more than three hours (at an easy pace) in training. Depending on the person, this is typically somewhere between 16-21 miles. Any more than three hours and the recovery needed cancels out the perceived benefit of those extra miles. There is an argument that having got up to 20+ miles in training has a positive psychological benefit when the big day comes (fair enough) but there is no physiological benefit in getting up to very high mileage and, indeed, it is more likely to harm your training.

Anyway, good luck with it all. There are loads of experienced marathoners posting in this thread and I'm sure we would all like to see your progress and offer encouragement.

Last edited:
This is the plan I used for my first marathon last week. The only thing I would add to this is to think carefully about your fuelling on your long runs, and especially on marathon day.

This is the plan I used for my first marathon last week. The only thing I would add to this is to think carefully about your fuelling on your long runs, and especially on marathon day.

@Citizen Green And practice your fuelling early long before race day. Most ‘experts’ say you need 60g of carbs per hour of running, so 1g per minute. Find what suits you on your long runs, not on race day. I would also include drinks/hydration in this and also what you eat/drink beforehand.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.