Running thread

Healthy habits are very hard to get started and easy to fall out of, that's what I found. It's the consistency what matters, just keep showing up and before you know it, it will be like 2nd nature to you.

I'd say be careful doing all HIIT, certainly do't do back to back days if your just coming back into it. The easy runs are what aid recovery and improve aerobic fitness. The HIIT sessions are great for getting your speed up and improving your tolerance to that speed.

Mines going great, definitely feeling the health benefits, started running properly again in May. I reckon I could just about manage running a couple of miles back then, now a 10 mile/16km run seems fairly easy. Probably knocked 45 seconds per km off of my comfortable running speed now, wont be far off my A goal for the marathon (3:30) if my training keeps going this well.
Yeah, I would only do intervals once a week, but with a threshold session as well and an LSR. Gentle sessions in between, with a day or two off. 80% of mileage should be at an easy pace so I will stick to that.

I'm actually considering foregoing the LSR for the first time in my running history, but we will see.

A bit of a reset for me this morning.

I've done almost nothing for three weeks, and I wasn't doing a huge amount before that either. I've been ill (stress-induced), then I've been away on holiday. I've also been boozing quite a bit, drinking whisky every night, and sometimes adding in a few glasses of wine. I've put on quite a bit of weight. Not been sleeping as well. I've been overloaded with work and other things, and lost motivation and any sense of routine.

Dragged myself out this morning so I am now seeking to re-establish healthy habits. I'm going to do things a bit differently this time.

Normally, I would build up the mileage with only slow runs, then introduce some speed work later. However, I happened to be listening to a health podcast about the benefits of HIIT training when I was out on my run, and that motivated me to turn my run into an interval session. I am going to focus more on high intensity / speed workouts rather than distance for the moment. I will let the distances creep up gradually rather than having big miles as the priority. I'm also thinking that interval / threshold sessions will naturally facilitate increased mileage anyway.

I won't be doing any events this autumn so I will now aim to have a good winter of training and aim to do something in the spring.

How are you guys getting on? Anyone having success with running? Getting faster / further? Feeling the health benefits? Taking part in any events?

I love booze and getting smashed but it really sets back the running

against the better advice i received on here i did my first run this morning , had a 2 week lay off due to my IT band injury, i went to see a physio a couple of days ago and he gave me some stretches to perform to strengthen my hip, must admit my calves and hammies felt fine, i started back with 3 mins walking,5 mins of running,x 3, because i wasn't doing the distance i have been doing i upped the pace slightly, after the 2nd 5 mins i felt my knee slightly,had a walk and finished off with the last 5 mins, still got a problem, not as painful, but ill have a rest day tomorrow and go again on tuesday, all on the treadmill, confidence has been slightly knocked due to my knee ,and i had to push myself to attempt the run, glad i did, love running with a few tunes, and it starts my day off in the right way

A bit of a reset for me this morning.

I've done almost nothing for three weeks, and I wasn't doing a huge amount before that either. I've been ill (stress-induced), then I've been away on holiday. I've also been boozing quite a bit, drinking whisky every night, and sometimes adding in a few glasses of wine. I've put on quite a bit of weight. Not been sleeping as well. I've been overloaded with work and other things, and lost motivation and any sense of routine.

Dragged myself out this morning so I am now seeking to re-establish healthy habits. I'm going to do things a bit differently this time.

Normally, I would build up the mileage with only slow runs, then introduce some speed work later. However, I happened to be listening to a health podcast about the benefits of HIIT training when I was out on my run, and that motivated me to turn my run into an interval session. I am going to focus more on high intensity / speed workouts rather than distance for the moment. I will let the distances creep up gradually rather than having big miles as the priority. I'm also thinking that interval / threshold sessions will naturally facilitate increased mileage anyway.

I won't be doing any events this autumn so I will now aim to have a good winter of training and aim to do something in the spring.

How are you guys getting on? Anyone having success with running? Getting faster / further? Feeling the health benefits? Taking part in any events?

You'll be back flying in no time mate, just have to keep turning up.
Infairness a lot of what you wrote goes for me as well, a "summer" of boozing and eating shite has me back to square one, hard to believe boston/london was only four months ago.
I do think that part of the deal with this running malarkey is the highs and lows, it gives you tremendous satisfaction and great highs when you hit your targets, but also makes you feel like shit when your not doing much, I've not raced at all since London and will probably just try for a few months to get back to a stage of fitness where I can be happy with my race times.

I'm doing a David Goggin's week... Getting up an hour earlier to do some exercise. No excuses.

I did 12k this morning in the rain. I forgot to start my watch. I got splashed by a car on 3k. Ran past home on 8k. I had to channel my inner Goggins to keep going. Toughest run of the week boxed off.

Tomorrow morning is a yoga session with Adriene, which will be much more enjoyable (If you know, you know).

I'm doing a David Goggin's week... Getting up an hour earlier to do some exercise. No excuses.

I did 12k this morning in the rain. I forgot to start my watch. I got splashed by a car on 3k. Ran past home on 8k. I had to channel my inner Goggins to keep going. Toughest run of the week boxed off.

Tomorrow morning is a yoga session with Adriene, which will be much more enjoyable (If you know, you know).
rocky balboas wife ?

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.