Russia

I have been to Moscow, stunning architecture, horrendous traffic, didn't find the locals friendly at all. Glad I've been but in no hurry to return.

foxy said:
Thanks for the replies everybody I really appreciate it.

Sounds like there's quite a lot of corruption to look out which is to be expected. I read information on the Foreign Office website about keeping your passport on you at all times. I heard this happen to some blues who went to the Kiev game a few seasons back.

Siberia does look great and somewhere I'd like to visit, going to look at internal flight options.

Do travel companies provide the visas?

I heard it's legal for normal drivers to provide taxi services, is that true?

Yes travel companies do provide the visas, as for the taxis, I don't know if that's true or not but by eck, those buggers drive fast! Most of the citys have trams that are really cheap and easy to use (usually a flat rate fare that is displayed on a sign as you get on) and the locals seem to use mini bus type things that are much cheaper than taxis and can be flagged down in the street. If you go to Moscow, use the underground, the stations are like palaces, amazing places!

foxy said:
Thanks for the replies everybody I really appreciate it.

Sounds like there's quite a lot of corruption to look out which is to be expected. I read information on the Foreign Office website about keeping your passport on you at all times. I heard this happen to some blues who went to the Kiev game a few seasons back.

Siberia does look great and somewhere I'd like to visit, going to look at internal flight options.

Do travel companies provide the visas?

I heard it's legal for normal drivers to provide taxi services, is that true?[/

I travel there a couple times a year. St petes and Moscow usually. You can fill out the Russian visa application form online free of charge but you will need to get a letter of invitation before the Russian consulate will grant you a tourist visa, best to get this from your Moscow hotel but it will cost a few quid. As others have said Russia is a very expensive place and there is a lot of cash on show, nice cars....but for some reason they never seem to bother washing them...

The women can be stunning which IMO is a reason in itself for visiting. St petes is beautiful, best time to visit is during the white nights, mid June, and a bit weird as the sun never fully sets.

Be very careful in Moscow, I was fleeced by a taxi driver when traveling on my own once...they are run by the mafia don't you know.. western style restaurants are very expensive (IMO) as are most things to foreigners so take lots of cash.

Unless you can speak Russian or understand Cyrillic your on a loser, it's not like you can nip into the local hauptbanhof and ask which is the best train to get to Volgograd ....anyway enough of my ramblings, go, you will be as disappointed as I was that red square is ridiculously touristic, the polit bureau office is now a department store and Lubyanka posh town houses...what is quite cool is the clandestine way the fsb drive around in kitted out 7 series beamers with blacked out windows......very Cold War.

Let me know if you have any specific questions, I'm off to Moscow early sept.

TheMightyQuinn said:
They have anti gay laws, so for a lot of you it's not going to be a picnic.
Quite unbelievable to see there face of the world championships
The women's Olympic & world pole vault champ come out with a homophobic rant on t.v yesterday.

The cookie monster said:
TheMightyQuinn said:
The women's Olympic & world pole vault champ come out with a homophobic rant on t.v yesterday.
Just seen her on Sky News, what century are these Russkies living in?
We are normal people not like you in the rest of Europe she said, Man goes with Woman and Woman goes with Man, you come to Russia and respect our laws.
Thats ok if your laws are from the Medieval age this is the 21st century

blue underpants said:
The cookie monster said:
TheMightyQuinn said:
Just seen her on Sky News, what century are these Russkies living in?
We are normal people not like you in the rest of Europe she said, Man goes with Woman and Woman goes with Man, you come to Russia and respect our laws.
Thats ok if your laws are from the Medieval age this is the 21st century

'respect our laws/way of life' has become a meaningless cliche trotted out by racists and homophobes the world over.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.