Russian invasion of Ukraine

Contrary to popular perception, Germany has delivered significant amounts of arms and equipment to Ukraine to aid the country in its fight against the Russian military. In fact, the volume of arms deliveries by Berlin exceeds that of every other country safe for the United States and the United Kingdom.

Again - only a THIRD of what Britain has provided in terms of GDP (HALF if you spread EU contributions around it's members) and we provide only half of what Poland provides and a QUARTER of the Baltics. What don't you get about that?
And France - bloody hell.
It's just not bloody good enough.
(Source - see Kiel data sets - accurate to 3rd October)

Incidently the UK is within 0.1% of US contributions in terms of GDP, which I, for one, am bloody proud of.

Last edited:
Again - only a THIRD of what Britain has provided in terms of GDP (HALF if you spread EU contributions around it's members) and we provide only half of what Poland provides and a QUARTER of the Baltics. What don't you get about that?
And France - bloody hell.
It's just not bloody good enough.
(Source - see Kiel data sets - accurate to 3rd October)

Incidently the UK is within 0.1% of US contributions in terms of GDP, which I, for one, am bloody proud of.

I'm also proud of the support Britain has supplied to the Ukraine. I'm also in favour of sticking to the facts of what others have done.
27278.jpeg

And on GDP, from the same source

The second-ranked country, the United Kingdom, has pledged far less - just over $4 billion – in the given time frame. In relative terms, however, both military aid commitments amount to approximately 0.1 percent of either country's GDP. Looking at this metric, Ukraine's smaller neighbors contributed more to its war effort, for example Poland (military aid of 0.3 percent of GDP) or Estonia (0.8 percent). Even when combining military, financial and humanitarian aid delivered or pledged by the U.S. is added up, this only amounts to 0.2 percent the country's GDP.

So perhaps Estonia should be proudest of all.

I'm also proud of the support Britain has supplied to the Ukraine. I'm also in favour of sticking to the facts of what others have done.
27278.jpeg

And on GDP, from the same source

The second-ranked country, the United Kingdom, has pledged far less - just over $4 billion – in the given time frame. In relative terms, however, both military aid commitments amount to approximately 0.1 percent of either country's GDP. Looking at this metric, Ukraine's smaller neighbors contributed more to its war effort, for example Poland (military aid of 0.3 percent of GDP) or Estonia (0.8 percent). Even when combining military, financial and humanitarian aid delivered or pledged by the U.S. is added up, this only amounts to 0.2 percent the country's GDP.

So perhaps Estonia should be proudest of all.

Probably Latvia should be proudest in terms of GDP contributions.

The problem with Germany is they have dragged their feet for far too long. Poland and the Baltic states were to provide soviet era heavy weapons such as tanks and artillery to Ukraine and Germany was going to back fill their stocks. A great example of this is Poland sent 240 T-72 tanks to Ukraine and was supposed to get Leopard tanks from Germany to compensate for the hole - this was supposed to come from Germany’s stocks…what they offered to send (eventually) was 20 broken tanks that would take a year to fix…by comparison Poland ordered 180 K2 tanks from South Korea in July this year (along with fighters and artillery) that were to be built from scratch…the first batch of these K2 tanks have been delivered - that’s 3 months.

Germany was further very slow to provide any heavy weapons to Ukraine. They have improved but still questions rightly remain and why they were slow is a bit of a mystery. The German public support arming Ukraine, the German politicians support arming Ukraine having passed motions to do so, and the defence minister has agreed all sorts of packages but the government continues to be criticised both domestically and by foreign powers. We know history often shapes German foreign policy however their citizens seem to have cast off the shadows of Hitler (rightly so) - maybe the political leaders were slow to recognise this.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.