Russian invasion of Ukraine

Interesting Atlantic Article on the trajectory of the war - and what has to happen for Ukraine to win:
in an underground parking lot beneath an ordinary building in an ordinary Ukrainian city, dozens of what appear to be small, windowless fishing boats are lined up in rows. The noise of machinery echoes from a separate room, where men are working with metal and wires. They didn’t look up when I walked in one recent morning, and no wonder: This is a sea-drone factory, these are among the best engineers in Ukraine, and they are busy producing the unmanned vessels that have altered the trajectory of the war. Packed with explosives and guided by the world’s most sophisticated remote-navigation technology, these new weapons might even change the way that all naval wars are fought in the future.

Certainly, the sea drones are evolving very quickly. A year ago, I visited the small workshop that was then producing the first Ukrainian models. One of the chief engineers described what was at the time the drones’ first major success: a strike that took out a Russian frigate, damaged a submarine, and hit some other boats as well.

Since then, the sea drones, sometimes alone and sometimes in combined attacks with flying drones or missiles, have sunk or damaged more than two dozen warships. This is possibly the most successful example of asymmetric warfare in history. The Ukrainian drones cost perhaps $220,000 apiece; many of the Russian ships are worth hundreds of millions of dollars. The military impact is enormous. To avoid Ukrainian strikes, Russian ships have mostly left their former headquarters, in the occupied Crimean port of Sevastopol, and moved farther east. They no longer patrol the Ukrainian coast. They can’t stop Ukrainian cargo ships from carrying grain and other goods to world markets, and Ukrainian trade is returning to prewar levels. This can’t be said often enough: Ukraine, a country without much of a navy, defeated Russia’s Black Sea fleet

Ukraine have been very successful with sea drones I’ll say it one more time .”A country without much of a navy defeated the Russian Black Sea fleet”

Mark Sumner Review:
Bottom line the west is not delivering quickly enough to let Ukraine win the war - worse they are giving Russia the ability to improve their forces and win and then threaten other NATO states.
Bottom line - Biden and NATO is slowly throwing away the West's advantages over Russia by drip feeding Ukraine with the kit to win the war.
Disgraceful by the west the only time Ukraine make the news is to report when Russia makes advances like today, nothing on how we should be helping more.
I watched a programme earlier on the medics volunteers from all over the world treating injured servicemen working behind the lines having to move further back every time Russia advances.
A country so deserving of our full military support.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.