Safe Standing

Not sure that someone who tragically lost two children 20 years ago today should be referred to as an "old crank".

Problem with overcrowding in standing areas is there's nowhere to go if things goes wrong. I was in the end carriage of the tram from the Reeperbahn to the Stadium last week and it was horrible. I tried to get out of the carriage, but was pushed back by a sea of bodies. Luckily I managed to elevate myself on the luggage rack and get some fresh air. I also manged to drag another lad up as I could see he was being crushed.

Plenty of us have been on crowded trams & trains at rush hour & after the match. Although uncomfortable, it never feels life threatening. That's because at least some people are sat down in designated spaces and a thus severe overcrowding is reduced.

That carriage last week was well over capacity because everyone was stood up. I don't blame the city fans, they were excited about going to a game. I blame the police who were suppossed to be controlling the situation, but carried on herding more and more blues into a packed carriage. Irony was my cousin had 4 seats to himself in the front carriage.

Ironically the only person sat down was a young lad who was in a real bad way. Sweating his chips off and throwing up. Big relief when the train doors opened at Stellingen.

jay_mcfc said:
blauw said:
Jay, his views are not extremist, calm down

Bollocks. His rant about standing areas was that of someone who has extreme views about the suitability of standing at football matches. It's an opinion I respect because he lost his 2 daughters in a standing accident but it's not an opinion I share or agree with. He says it's not safe to stand in seated areas which is not true and he says forget about the German model of safe standing...why? We should look to run football the way the Germans do, not dismiss it. His views are extreme and for him with good reason.

His views are extreme and are very one sided. Yes i feel for him that he lost his two beloved daughters but that doesn't mean he has the right to preach his views and opinions and something that is tottally flawed. Standing at football is not unsafe like he said and to disrespect what the Germans have done is ridiculous. There are alot of people who are working hard and with hope that fans have a choice whether to sit or stand at a football match which in 2009 would be SAFE. There are better, safer grounds, more CCTV, better stewarding, better segregation and a different mentality and family feel about the English game today.

He hasn't been to a football match since 1989 which is understandable but he is out of touch with the modern game and still see's football as the devil that claimed the lives of his beloved daughters, there is no way he should of been able to vent his ill informed opinions to the nation simply because he lost his two daughters, he should keep them feelings to himself and it was ironic that he said this flawed opinions to 30,000 standing people in a football stadium!!!

standing.jpg

kombi.jpg

Its not safe to driver a car any more, how many people die on a daily basis in car accidents? Will the government ban driving?

What about standing at gigs? nothing ever gets said about that. I've been in many situation watching a band when people start rocking side to side and you virtually always end up on your arse.

Oh and how many times on a famous Anfield European nights have the camera's shown the Kop fully standing and singing for the full 90 minutes.

Bloody hypocrites.

Is this not all about two different interpretations of what 'standing areas' are? His conception of a standing area is probably very different to what the idea of German standing areas are. Let's not forget that that tin pot scummy club Portsmouth got away with having a terrace for one season in the Premier League in the 21st century. They also don't have undersoil heating even though its in the rules and can afford to spend millions on players!!!! aaaaaggh!

I'm sorry, but this group of relatives have made it their goal to deny the rest of us the right to stand at football matches. I appreciate they have lost loved ones, but they have no right to force their agenda on the rest of us. When Standing at football matches is ever mentioned in public, this group suddenly appears and tells anyone who will listen, that normally means the media, the Government and the PL, that standing should never be reintroduced as it is still unsafe. Today being a prime example. It's wrong and they should move on and let fans from other clubs who want to stand in safe standing sections, do so.

I think to say standing can never be safe at football is ridiculous

what happened at hillsbrough was tragic and every football fan will have sympathy for the families of all that died, especially on an anniversary of the event.

the only good thing to come from it was the introduction of seating and now this sort of crushing can never be allowed to happen again

However, I believe standing at football now, within the parameters laid out by seating is 100% safe, and it annoys me all this health and safe bollocks when football clubs try and get people to sit. We are relatively lucky at city, in 111 where I am we stand all game (and i know the south stand does aswell) amd we never get told to sit

With the seating in place everyone has their own designated space, and with the seat in place they act as barriers so you could never have the problem of surging forward or crushing.

So we already have the perfect system in place where people could effectively stand safely at a game

IMO

Andy

I would like to see standing sections at all grounds. Because the cost to sit rather than stand is more i cannot see clubs agreeing.
They would use every excuse but money though. I believe the atmosphere would improve, also the people that wish to sit would not be discomforted by others standing in front of them. The numbers on a terrace would be strictly monitored to stop overcrowding. it must be remembered it was the fact that the crowd could not move sideways because of the pens that caused the hillsborough tragedy.

Doubt standing will come back though.

BlueMooner87 said:
sorry how many nottingham fans were injured or killed?

i rest my case standing can be safe

i think your missing the point slightly. how many forest fans were in the lepping lane end?

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.