Scariest moment of ur life?

Can't think of anything too scary but have had a few close scrapes:-

1) Being chased through Middleton by a load of skinheads when I was about 10. Don't know why...I was just walking along and they started on me! I felt like I ran for miles and miles to get away!

2) Being on business in a foreign country and getting arrested, not being able to speak the language and held for about seven hours of questioning. I was arrested for an offence that my firm and I didn't know was an offence and in the end my firm had to spend 20k on lawyers to get me off (this was over fifteen years ago so 20k was worth alot more then!)...one claim to fame I suppose is that my lawyer was Alain Prost's lawyer!

3) Having a major stomach problem, being told I was imagining it...then six years later being told I wasn't imagining it, now had a high chance that cancer had developed, I needed surgery as soon as possible and that the best surgeons for the job were to be found in Brazil! Found a Belgian world leading surgeon to do the job however, he had never done part of the op before and was going back to Belgian for more training! He then tells me that he has the problem and his teacher is going to do the op on him...and then he'll do the op on me! At that stage I didn't realise that it was major surgery (I just hadn't twigged) until I was at the hospital and they said that this is major surgery, we've never done one of these ops here and you'll probably wake up in intensive care. Whilst being wheeled down to surgery the enormity of it all hit me very hard, being on my own at that point in time, thinking about everything it finally dawned on me how serious it was and my eyes watered up! For a few moments I was scared but the surgeon turned up, told me that everything would be fine...and he was right!

Uwe Rosler's Grandad said:
3) Having a major stomach problem, being told I was imagining it...then six years later being told I wasn't imagining it, now had a high chance that cancer had developed, I needed surgery as soon as possible and that the best surgeons for the job were to be found in Brazil! Found a Belgian world leading surgeon to do the job however, he had never done part of the op before and was going back to Belgian for more training! He then tells me that he has the problem and his teacher is going to do the op on him...and then he'll do the op on me! At that stage I didn't realise that it was major surgery (I just hadn't twigged) until I was at the hospital and they said that this is major surgery, we've never done one of these ops here and you'll probably wake up in intensive care. Whilst being wheeled down to surgery the enormity of it all hit me very hard, being on my own at that point in time, thinking about everything it finally dawned on me how serious it was and my eyes watered up! For a few moments I was scared but the surgeon turned up, told me that everything would be fine...and he was right!

That trolley on the way to surgery is a scary lonely place. I remember the matter of fact attitude of the surgeon, anaesthetist and nurses not bringing too much comfort. When the anaesthetist starts to put you under, you can't help thinking 'will I wake up?'

mcfc92lad said:
Cheesy said:
Mortar attack in Basrah. Wasn't too close to us but it was enough to loosen the bowels a little ;-)

that sounds pretty bad cheese..
He forgot to mention he was in Aldershot at the time!

Mine was being a front seat passenger in a car that was skidding out of control on the M6 and seeing the central barrier looming up fast. Definitely thought I was dead. Amazingly we survived that but it got worse as some idiot woman who wasn't paying attention ploughed into us at around 80 mph. That happened too fast to be scary but the thought of it afterwards gave me nightmares for years.

Birth of my son, no manual, no instructions. I remember leaving him the heater crib after the midwife put him in and waited for someone to come and tell me I could pick him up. Got home on my own and drank a few beers. Next day picked him up and drove home at about 10 mph. Sat there thinking what the hell do I do now?...sheer panic. All falls into place, its natural, and by all account done a really good job with him.

First time i took shrooms at uni, was in a room with my mate and four girls. I was convinced i'd shit my pants, turned out my arse had just gone numb.

black mamba said:
manclad said:
Coming out of Elland Road anytime in the 70,s and walking back to the coaches & later on my car.(I never had to make the dreaded walk back to the train station).Bricks,bottles & other assorted debris raining down from the night sky.Guaranteed to relieve any symptons of constipation!!!!

Absolutely have to agree with you , terrible place to go back then ..... and yes , i DID have to get back to that station (three miles away) in one piece !

Ah happy days, plus can you remember they only had 3 floodlights then very peculiar!

The bus drive from the port of Santorini to civilisation!!

66602948.Bsnr7256.jpg

1- 2006 - i had just had a MRI scan in oldham royal on my upper spine , which had shown five tumours growing out of both side's of my vertebrae . the radiologist was unable to tell whether or not the tumours were benign or cancerous . so they reffered me for a stay on the neurological ward at hope hospital in salford . they said that i would have to have a C.T ( cat scan ) guided biopsy . it wasn't going to be my first biopsy i had experienced having , so i thought that it would be a straight forward procedure . pre op checks , wheeled down to surgery , receive a general anesthetic , wake up on the ward afterwards , job's a good-un .
it wasn't until they wheeled me into the C.T scanner room that something didn't seem right ?
there must have been at least ten people standing around the scanner . the doctor told me to stand up and lie face down on the scan machine entrance . they then proceded to strap me down to the machine , using a kind of shrink wrap . i felt like an egyptian mummy .
i asked them why they were strapping me down and they told me they were going to use a local anesthetic , and not a general anesthetic ( i was going to be awake ) .
i asked why ? they told me that the tumours were so close to my spinal cord that if i was to 'twitch' whilst i was under , there was a good possibility that when they were trying to biopsy one of the tumours , they could damage the spinal cord , resulting in permanent paralysis . i asked why there was so many people present , the reply was ' to help hold you down when we make the insition , so that you don't move ' .
i had three injections of local anesthetic . asked whether i could feel the doctor tapping my back , i couldn't feel a thing .
when they were ready to start the biopsy , they all took their positions on either side of me . they were drilling it into me ' don't move stuart , don't move ' .
i laid there thinking ' i've had better days ' .
the doctor was telling me , ' i'm inside now , are you alright ' ? just as i was about to say yes , i honestly can't begin to describe the shooting pain that went up and down my spine . i just gritted my teeth , closed my eyes , and had a mental picture in my mind's eye , of my son and missus . it was the longest ten minutes of my life . once they said they were done , i wiggled my toes as they were unstrapping me from the scanner .job's a good-un .
unfortunately , the result was shit , but atleast i wasn't paralysed .

2- april 2008 . i had spent a week in isolation on the ALU ward in christie hospital having high dosage chemotherapy , in readyness for my allogeneic ( donor ) stem cell transplant . if my body didn't reject the donor's stem cells as a foreign body , i was looking at six to eight weeks in isolation . the haematology consultants told me i had a 60 % of surviving the transplant . when i asked ' when would i know whether or not my body would accept or reject the new cells ' ? , i was told within the first 72 hours . the night before the transplant , i had what only could be described as a ' conversation ' with my missus and my son , that i wouldn't wish on my worse enemy .
even to this day , she thinks i was told i had a 90 % chance of the transplant being a success .
if i thought the 10 minutes in hope hospital was the longest 10 minutes of my life , it paled into significance the 72 hours i experienced post transplant .

onelife said:
getting attacked at QPR. 50-60 tooled up. one of our lads nearly dies and never been the same since.
then going to court in london. to be attacked again by the same firm.

10/1 both times

I didn't think they had that many fans ..... let alone hooligans!

You must have just been unlucky ....... i've been there loads of times , going back from the early seventies to the very last time that we played them , and never even seen a hint of trouble.

Stuart said:
1- 2006 - i had just had a MRI scan in oldham royal on my upper spine , which had shown five tumours growing out of both side's of my vertebrae . the radiologist was unable to tell whether or not the tumours were benign or cancerous . so they reffered me for a stay on the neurological ward at hope hospital in salford . they said that i would have to have a C.T ( cat scan ) guided biopsy . it wasn't going to be my first biopsy i had experienced having , so i thought that it would be a straight forward procedure . pre op checks , wheeled down to surgery , receive a general anesthetic , wake up on the ward afterwards , job's a good-un .
it wasn't until they wheeled me into the C.T scanner room that something didn't seem right ?
there must have been at least ten people standing around the scanner . the doctor told me to stand up and lie face down on the scan machine entrance . they then proceded to strap me down to the machine , using a kind of shrink wrap . i felt like an egyptian mummy .
i asked them why they were strapping me down and they told me they were going to use a local anesthetic , and not a general anesthetic ( i was going to be awake ) .
i asked why ? they told me that the tumours were so close to my spinal cord that if i was to 'twitch' whilst i was under , there was a good possibility that when they were trying to biopsy one of the tumours , they could damage the spinal cord , resulting in permanent paralysis . i asked why there was so many people present , the reply was ' to help hold you down when we make the insition , so that you don't move ' .
i had three injections of local anesthetic . asked whether i could feel the doctor tapping my back , i couldn't feel a thing .
when they were ready to start the biopsy , they all took their positions on either side of me . they were drilling it into me ' don't move stuart , don't move ' .
i laid there thinking ' i've had better days ' .
the doctor was telling me , ' i'm inside now , are you alright ' ? just as i was about to say yes , i honestly can't begin to describe the shooting pain that went up and down my spine . i just gritted my teeth , closed my eyes , and had a mental picture in my mind's eye , of my son and missus . it was the longest ten minutes of my life . once they said they were done , i wiggled my toes as they were unstrapping me from the scanner .job's a good-un .
unfortunately , the result was shit , but atleast i wasn't paralysed .

2- april 2008 . i had spent a week in isolation on the ALU ward in christie hospital having high dosage chemotherapy , in readyness for my allogeneic ( donor ) stem cell transplant . if my body didn't reject the donor's stem cells as a foreign body , i was looking at six to eight weeks in isolation . the haematology consultants told me i had a 60 % of surviving the transplant . when i asked ' when would i know whether or not my body would accept or reject the new cells ' ? , i was told within the first 72 hours . the night before the transplant , i had what only could be described as a ' coversation ' with my missus and my son , that i wouldn't wish on my worse enemy .
even to this day , she thinks i was told i had a 90 % chance of the transplant being a success .
if i thought the 10 minutes in hope hospital was the longest 10 minutes of my life , it paled into significance the 72 hours i experienced post transplant .

That brought a tear to the eye mate. Has the treatment all been a success?

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.