Scientology

One could, justifiably, argue that *all* religions are “Star Trek bollocks”. But with Christianity ones takes and believes whatever one wants from it, often alternating between believing and disbelieving multiple times over the years. And no one will reprimand you for doing that. The difference with Scientology is that *Every Single Word* has to be believed, no if, buts, or maybes. Believers are brainwashed into accepting every word uttered by Scientology founder L Ron Hubbard as being totally 100% True.

Hubbard says Scientology is the only hope for Mankind, and that becomes the driving force of their lives.

Hmm. Come to America mate. Plenty of Christians believe that the Bible is the literal and unalterable word of god and the Koran is also meant to be taken that way.
Picking and choosing what to use, believe or how to interpret things is both intellectually and morally lazy and disingenuous. Which version are others supposed to take as genuine? The ones who sing silly, but charming hymns, or the ones that will happy murder you in cold blood for not believing?
Also, how can the final and unalterable word of god be open to multiple interpretations?

Last edited:
I like Soto Zen Buddhist Brad Warner's response to this question (though he applies it to New Religious Movements too). Here's an extract from the relevant...'

Thanks for taking the time to post this. Generally, I don’t disagree with you, but all I’ll say is that;

This is proof that a good number of humans are and always will be, predisposed to believe in anything. That says nothing whatsoever to the veracity of their belief or the religion. If religious people and organizations stepped away from the proselytizing, by argument or force, I wouldn’t mind. But we all know they’re incapable of that.

I’m glad the NY Dolls guy found peace, but again, he could’ve got that from any number of secular routes and it’s not an argument for the truth of the religion.

That’s one possibility of what might happen in Clearwater. Or a Wako, Texas-type situation. The Scientologists are circling the wagons at that location. They have bought up all the property, and now have ownership of the whole of the Downtown area. The outer buildings they’re leaving empty, thus fashioning a large physical “moat” around themselves. I don’t know what the endgame will be, or how it will play out. But it might not be pretty.

There is one guy behind the whole thing - as with most cults it will not last beyond him. Misgavage is 59 now. He is mad as cheese but there doesn't seem to be anything ultra sinister going on and they are hyper image conscious. I would imagine that it will slowly unravel in sync with his health (they have enough capital to go on for years but they are operating a big organisation wich must have significant costs - once they start making losses then again it starts to unravel).

Excellent documentary & pretty disturbing.

Not sure where you can find the full programme.

John Robinson, one time bishop of London, argued that you didn't even need to believe in god to be a christian. As @roman totale argues above, this picking and choosing is ludicrous, undermining the whole philosophical basis of religion. Like the ontological proof of god, it starts with a given to prove that very point. Call yourself a christian, but excuse yourself the belief in the divinity of christ, the resurrection, the miracles etc, and what is left?

Also, how can the final and unalterable word of god be open to multiple interpretations?

I can anticipate a few possible responses to this question but in setting them out here, it would be a mistake to assume that I subscribe to any of them.

One would be mystical: the absolute truth itself is ineffable and cannot be expressed in words. So any attempt to frame ultimate reality within language is not going to do the job. For example, monistic religious philosophies take this line. If reality is non-dual and language is inherently dualistic, if it inevitably carves reality up into subject and object, then it simply isn't up to the job of expressing how things truly are. Some forms of Hinduism and Buddhism advance this teaching via the notions of samvriti-satya and paramartha-satya, or provisional and absolute truth. For example, in the Upanishads, the phrase 'neti, neti' ('not this, not this') can be found when it comes to attempts to set out the contours of Brahman.

Similar ideas can be found floating around in ancient philosophical Taoism, in both the Tao Te Ching and the Chuang Tzu. Here are a couple of extracts from Chapter 2 of the latter text.

Words are not just wind. Words have something to say. But if what they have to say is not fixed, then do they really say something? Or do they say nothing? People suppose that words are different from the peeps of baby birds, but is there any difference, or isn't there?

There is a beginning. There is a not yet beginning to be a beginning. There is a not yet beginning to be a not yet beginning to be a beginning. There is being. There is nonbeing. There is a not yet beginning to be nonbeing. There is a not yet beginning to be a not yet beginning to be nonbeing. Suddenly there is nonbeing. But I do not know, when it comes to nonbeing, which is really being and which is nonbeing. Now I have just said something. But I don't know whether what I have said has really said something or whether it hasn't said something.

There is nothing in the world bigger than the tip of an autumn hair, and Mount T'ai is tiny. No one has lived longer than a dead child, and P'eng-tsu died young. Heaven and earth were born at the same time I was, and the ten thousand things are one with me.

We have already become one, so how can I say anything? But I have just said that we are one, so how can I not be saying something? The one and what I said about it make two, and two and the original one make three. If we go on this way, then even the cleverest mathematician can't tell where we'll end, much less an ordinary man. If by moving from nonbeing to being we get to three, how far will we get if we move from being to being? Better not to move, but to let things be!

Of course, with the notion of the Tao we are a long way from traditional monotheism and moving more in the direction of an impersonal monism. The nearest thing to that in the monotheistic faiths would probably be pantheism, though it gets complicated as Buddhists are monists but Buddhism is a non-theistic religion: there is no God getting His knickers in a twist about what we do down here.

Some forms of Buddhism dismiss the value of scripture altogether. For example, Kaiten Nukariya, the author of The Religion of the Samurai wrote that 'scripture is no more than waste paper' and went on to state that the universe itself is the scripture of Zen.

A second approach might be to dismiss the idea of a definitive rendering of revelation. In other words, it's all interpretation, which is an inevitable consequence of the so-called 'Divine' interacting with the human.

A third approach would be to take the view that it is a testament to the very sacredness of revelatory texts that they cannot be pinned down. Just as one can return again and again to great literature and poetry and derive something new from the content, this is even more the case for God's word, in the sense that that the product of the infinite has the potential to resonate infinitely.

Personally, I like the line taken by what the Marxist biographer of Muhammad, Maxime Rodinson, described as 'independent spirits in Islam' who attempted to 'shed doubt on the incomparable nature of the Koranic text'. Rodinson goes on to state that some '...actually set out out to write imitations of the Koran. One of these, in medieval times, faced with the objection that his text did not produce the same mesmeric effect as recitations of the Koran, retorted, 'Have it read out in the mosques for centuries and then you will see!'

This, of course, brings us to the more sceptical possibility that the reason for the lack of consensus is because there is no God. Revelations are actually the product of the human imagination. All that then needs clearing up are the reasons why this sort of thing happens. Feuerbach, Marx, Durkheim and Freud all have interesting theories about that. More recently, New Atheists like Dan Dennett have advanced the view that religion is a superfluous by-product of evolution. The first step is to posit the existence of a hypersensitive agency detector device. This is based on the idea that even now we see faces in the clouds but never clouds in faces. The explanation is that our brains are hard-wired to spot what might possibly be a potential threat to our survival: the face of a possible predator. This device is on a hair trigger and is not always accurate. But the mistakes are all in one direction: the detection of an agent when none is actually present. This is because an evolutionary advantage is conferred through this bias. Even if the device is triggered in error, we still get to survive.

As humans evolved shared communication became possible, and as a result, we began attributing agency to the weather (e.g. a drought means that the rain god is angry), and cases of good and bad fortune (e.g. my bad luck is the result of a god being displeased with me). This belief in supernatural agents is therefore a by-product of a device which is otherwise highly adaptive. Revelatory texts eventually emerged from this milieu.

I'll leave it at that.

There's one other thing: given the rather wonderful Mark E. Smith's tendency to run The Fall like an authoritarian cult leader, the irony of interacting with someone who posts using the name of one of Smith's alter-egos on a thread about a notorious new religion has not been lost on me.

Last edited:
Call yourself a christian, but excuse yourself the belief in the divinity of christ, the resurrection, the miracles etc, and what is left?

See Don Cupitt's Sea of Faith movement. I don't know much about them but I think they follow that trajectory and yet still consider themselves to be nominally Christian (though I could be wrong about that). Maybe they just go in for agapeistic selfless behaviour or something similar.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.