Scott Weiland RIP

Sad loss - i went to see STP - he was a brilliant front man in a great band. I also saw him in Velvet Revolver - anyone remember the gig at the MEN when they started the gig really late - reportedly because he was off on one

Enter the way, way back machine. It is 1993 and people like me are overjoyed to watch as a bunch of thoughtful, scruffy musicians in flannel with often (gasp!) relevant things to say rise up and rinse the bleached haired, cock rocking, misogynistic, empty headed, nothing but a good time hair metal scene down the proverbial toilet. Don't let the door hit you on the way down to the State Fair Circuit, you slobs.

I was busy dancing in the darkness of The Shelter in downtown Detroit with the outsiders. To quote Michael Stipe: with "the fags and the fat girls and the broken toys and the shy nerds and the goth kids and the rockers and the awkward and the fed up and the too smart kids and the bullied" (thanks for that great line - perfectly said!). We probably never thought that our music would become mainstream music. Nonetheless, it slowly started to happen.

As the airwaves flooded with Jane's Addiction, Smashing Pumpkins, Nirvana, Soundgarden, Alice In Chains, Pearl Jam and others of their ilk, it felt good. Then I heard either "Sex Type Thing" or "Plush" by Stone Temple Pilots for the first time. I was a huge Pearl Jam fan and I was (and still am) an obnoxious, opinionated prick. To me, all I heard at first blush was an Eddie Vedder copycat and I prepared to toss STP onto the dung heap with everyone else I didn't care for.

Oops...

My kid brother Ron would have none of it. He played "Core" an awful lot and I softened my stance as the incredible musicianship of the DeLeo brothers - Dean with his AMAZING guitar talents and Robert with his awesome, lyrical, growling, slinky-down-the-steps bass lines - revealed themselves to me. Check the writing credits. At the core of STP were Robert and Dean doing it like brothers do and I got hooked on STP in a pretty big way. I'm a sucker for bands with brothers, I guess.

At the front, though, was Scott Weiland. As I listened to STP more and more, I realized he was no show pony and he certainly wasn't an Eddie Vedder ripoff. He was more of a vocal chameleon, shifting sonic shapes as he snarled and pouted and preened his way through their music. I quickly learned that this was a true Front Man, the kind that take bands to great places.

I also quickly learned that Scott was, for all intents and purposes, more or less a functional heroin addict. The jokes started about who would go first, him or Layne or Kurt. Kurt went. Then Layne went. Scott, somehow, stuck around. Sometimes word was that he had cleaned up. Other times, word was that he was a stone junkie. It was a never ending story.

Eventually, my brother and I went to see STP live. The night before our show, Scott had turned up late and word was that he was pretty high when they took the stage at around 10 PM and slogged through a set. I wasn't expecting much. Boy was I wrong. They came out at our show right on time and just tore it to pieces. Played their asses off. Weiland was all over the stage. Climbing on the amps like an insect. Pouting. Posing. Singing like mad. They were really, really good. One of the things I will never forget is how "Plush" - arguably their biggest song, was tossed out about a third of the way through the show. "Here it is, kiddies, the big radio hit. We're gonna get it out of the way so we can melt your face with other songs." It was a really good show.

Hard Drugs are a woman. They suck. They take way too many lives. Unfortunately, they are also often the choice of a lot of very talented people. Not all of these people are famous musicians. Most are anonymous, struggling with addiction and unable to crawl out of the hole. Maybe someday we'll finally see hard drugs as primarily a health care issue and not a criminal law issue. Well, I'm not holding my breath.

So, Kurt's gone, Layne's gone and now Scott's gone. I guess I'm not quite sure how he made it this long. Still, its sad and it's unfair to those who knew him personally. It is also sad for his fans. Admit it - you were waiting for this. Maybe you even thought it was inevitable.

Doesn't mean it doesn't suck.

I hope there is peace now, Scott. Rest Easy.

Gutted when I woke up to this news this morning....great front man and STP were one of my favourite bands growing up . I was lucky enough to see them live in Canada about 5 years ago and that guy really knew how to entertain. His autobiography is a worthwhile read as well

RIP Scott Weiland

Not an STP fan, but did like what he did with VR ..... sad news, but only real surprise is he lasted till now ....

Enter the way, way back machine. It is 1993 and people like me are overjoyed to watch as a bunch of thoughtful, scruffy musicians in flannel with often (gasp!) relevant things to say rise up and rinse the bleached haired, cock rocking, misogynistic, empty headed, nothing but a good time hair metal scene down the proverbial toilet. Don't let the door hit you on the way down to the State Fair Circuit, you slobs.

I was busy dancing in the darkness of The Shelter in downtown Detroit with the outsiders. To quote Michael Stipe: with "the fags and the fat girls and the broken toys and the shy nerds and the goth kids and the rockers and the awkward and the fed up and the too smart kids and the bullied" (thanks for that great line - perfectly said!). We probably never thought that our music would become mainstream music. Nonetheless, it slowly started to happen.

As the airwaves flooded with Jane's Addiction, Smashing Pumpkins, Nirvana, Soundgarden, Alice In Chains, Pearl Jam and others of their ilk, it felt good. Then I heard either "Sex Type Thing" or "Plush" by Stone Temple Pilots for the first time. I was a huge Pearl Jam fan and I was (and still am) an obnoxious, opinionated prick. To me, all I heard at first blush was an Eddie Vedder copycat and I prepared to toss STP onto the dung heap with everyone else I didn't care for.

Oops...

My kid brother Ron would have none of it. He played "Core" an awful lot and I softened my stance as the incredible musicianship of the DeLeo brothers - Dean with his AMAZING guitar talents and Robert with his awesome, lyrical, growling, slinky-down-the-steps bass lines - revealed themselves to me. Check the writing credits. At the core of STP were Robert and Dean doing it like brothers do and I got hooked on STP in a pretty big way. I'm a sucker for bands with brothers, I guess.

At the front, though, was Scott Weiland. As I listened to STP more and more, I realized he was no show pony and he certainly wasn't an Eddie Vedder ripoff. He was more of a vocal chameleon, shifting sonic shapes as he snarled and pouted and preened his way through their music. I quickly learned that this was a true Front Man, the kind that take bands to great places.

I also quickly learned that Scott was, for all intents and purposes, more or less a functional heroin addict. The jokes started about who would go first, him or Layne or Kurt. Kurt went. Then Layne went. Scott, somehow, stuck around. Sometimes word was that he had cleaned up. Other times, word was that he was a stone junkie. It was a never ending story.

Eventually, my brother and I went to see STP live. The night before our show, Scott had turned up late and word was that he was pretty high when they took the stage at around 10 PM and slogged through a set. I wasn't expecting much. Boy was I wrong. They came out at our show right on time and just tore it to pieces. Played their asses off. Weiland was all over the stage. Climbing on the amps like an insect. Pouting. Posing. Singing like mad. They were really, really good. One of the things I will never forget is how "Plush" - arguably their biggest song, was tossed out about a third of the way through the show. "Here it is, kiddies, the big radio hit. We're gonna get it out of the way so we can melt your face with other songs." It was a really good show.

Hard Drugs are a woman. They suck. They take way too many lives. Unfortunately, they are also often the choice of a lot of very talented people. Not all of these people are famous musicians. Most are anonymous, struggling with addiction and unable to crawl out of the hole. Maybe someday we'll finally see hard drugs as primarily a health care issue and not a criminal law issue. Well, I'm not holding my breath.

So, Kurt's gone, Layne's gone and now Scott's gone. I guess I'm not quite sure how he made it this long. Still, its sad and it's unfair to those who knew him personally. It is also sad for his fans. Admit it - you were waiting for this. Maybe you even thought it was inevitable.

Doesn't mean it doesn't suck.

I hope there is peace now, Scott. Rest Easy.

Brilliant.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.