Scouting policy

bondsman

Surely all of our resources should be focused on targets who are young and have obvious potential. Our scouts need to be looking to emulate Arsenal's and United's. Why are we not linked to some exciting emerging prospects, they would surely cost less and would make me actually feel like we had some grand plan to develop the club not just snap up anyone available or be some financially strapped clubs get out. Im not advocating this at the expense of our Academy but surely we could use the money no longer needed for Kaka to go and poach Veloso, Pato, Bojan, Aguero, Capel, Ramsey and the like?

I tend to agree. but the wisdom on this Board is we go for the big names who have already made it.

yeah on the face of it that is the correct course of action. young players tend to increase in value, and having them develop together can be very beneficial to the team spirit, as well as their ability to play effectively together.

however, and this is a jumbo however, it is essential that there are experienced trustworthy professionals around to guide them and lead by example. think of Gareth Barry at Villa, a fantastic professional in every respect. in theory we have dunne and hamann to do this, but both have been criticised as poor trainers and less than model professionals. hence, we need the rolemodels even more than the youngsters right now.

Fair point about Barry, but he is as you say a proper pro and arguably getting better still. We have to forget about picking up journeymen and nearly good players though. Bellamy is of course a classic example - though I know i will get slated for slagging him. Young players from the top teams generally have enough quality to cope with a lack of experience and playing alongside other young but more experienced lads like Ireland, Kompany, Richards even Zab who is only 24 will make us a pacy and exciting team. In the modern game I think pace is what we should be looking to invest in, look at Villa.

Weston Blue said:
I tend to agree. but the wisdom on this Board is we go for the big names who have already made it.
Especially Brazilians and / or blokes they've never seen play (on TV).

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.