Seat Ibiza DSG Gearbox Failure - Advice

Bluemanc100

My son's Seat Ibiza DSG gearbox has failed at 41,000 miles.

The car gave no warning and has a full dealer service history.

The Service record confirms that it had a DSG clutch replacement and also a DSG oil change as part of a recall at circa 20,000 miles when they changed from synthetic oil to mineral because of known issues..

Seat have diagnosed the car and say worst case that it needs a new gearbox but cannot be certain till they strip it. They quoted £4200 .

My son has since spoken to Seat UK who despite having been told by Stoke Seat that the synthetic oil could have caused the issue, have offered only 30% toward the repair.

VW Asia part of the same manufacturer group have extended the warranty for the DSG by two more years because of problems and had SEAT UK done the same thing, the car would be totally covered.

Does anybody have any experience or advice re this issue, particularly as the Seat dealer admitted that the wrong oil being used for ~20,000 miles may have caused the failure.

How old?
And check a proper car forum to see how many others affected not BM.
4 grand! Ouch!
Does it run?
Use as trade in if it does.

How old?
And check a proper car forum to see how many others affected not BM.
4 grand! Ouch!
Does it run?
Use as trade in if it does.

11 plate, full Seat history, serviced May on the day he bought it from the first and only owner..
Lots of issues on forums (I suggested he only buy a DSG if he took an extended warranty... he didn't)
Will go in reverse only... rest of the car in top condition with all the extras... no warning of the failure either
Worst case we bite the bullet... keep for the two years of warranty cover after the box is fitted then sell it..

A bit late I know but Google VW Dsg gearbox problems and you'll see you're not alone. There is even a Facebook page of wounded owners of VAG products who have fallen foul of this defective piece of kit and VAG mostly ignoring. On the heels of the emissions dodging you have to say its probably just as well all cars aren't a VAG product.

41000 on a full dealer service history, one owner from new. Surely there is a fairly sound argument that you have been sold goods that are either faulty or not fit for purpose?
I'd have thought that this age and mileage is not a reasonable time for such catastrophic failure.

Insurance job burn it on the local croft.
My son's Seat Ibiza DSG gearbox has failed at 41,000 miles.

The car gave no warning and has a full dealer service history.

The Service record confirms that it had a DSG clutch replacement and also a DSG oil change as part of a recall at circa 20,000 miles when they changed from synthetic oil to mineral because of known issues..

Seat have diagnosed the car and say worst case that it needs a new gearbox but cannot be certain till they strip it. They quoted £4200 .

My son has since spoken to Seat UK who despite having been told by Stoke Seat that the synthetic oil could have caused the issue, have offered only 30% toward the repair.

VW Asia part of the same manufacturer group have extended the warranty for the DSG by two more years because of problems and had SEAT UK done the same thing, the car would be totally covered.

Does anybody have any experience or advice re this issue, particularly as the Seat dealer admitted that the wrong oil being used for ~20,000 miles may have caused the failure.
Well if the dealer has admitted the wrong oil was used then surely they are at fault. The thing with DSG is if there is a problem they have you by the bollacks as no back street mechanic has the tools to sort it out, main dealer that's it unfortunately.

41000 on a full dealer service history, one owner from new. Surely there is a fairly sound argument that you have been sold goods that are either faulty or not fit for purpose?
I'd have thought that this age and mileage is not a reasonable time for such catastrophic failure.
It was purchased privately but based on the history... Seat Uk Seemed to be listening and agreeing that this is a premature failure but then came back with an offer of 30%

11 plate, full Seat history, serviced May on the day he bought it from the first and only owner..
Lots of issues on forums (I suggested he only buy a DSG if he took an extended warranty... he didn't)
Will go in reverse only... rest of the car in top condition with all the extras... no warning of the failure either
Worst case we bite the bullet... keep for the two years of warranty cover after the box is fitted then sell it..
5+ years old and relatively low miles so hard to argue not fit for purpose.
Change for scrapper gearbox just to get it running.

Insurance job burn it on the local croft.

Well if the dealer has admitted the wrong oil was used then surely they are at fault. The thing with DSG is if there is a problem they have you by the bollacks as no back street mechanic has the tools to sort it out, main dealer that's it unfortunately.
The dealer said the oil could have caused the issue but couldn't be 100% sure.... Seat UK as a direct result offered 30%

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.