Self-employed & Coronavirus

I'm self employed sole trader with net profits well under 50k, tax returns always submitted.
With regards to receiving 80% in June backdated to March will I qualify as I have over 16k in the bank? Not seen anything to the contrary so far.

Some firms show their true colours in a crisis. Our firm is being absolute a**eholes. I work for a small firm on the railway, we are classed as key workers. The excuse is we need to maintain the railway to keep things moving etc.. (yet some of the jobs we are doing can easily be postponed, non critical works ). Anyway suddenly they say they will only pay on production hours only. So we normally get our 40 hours regardless but now if they have only a shift for us for one week we get paid 10 hours only for that week. They refuse to put people on furloughed. Scandalous, they will probably claim for us and not pass on the money.

This is the point i was making earlier. Despite how positive the headlines sound, many won't be covered by it, and will still suffer financially.

Maybe the gov ARE right with their all in this together pledge.

Some firms show their true colours in a crisis. Our firm is being absolute a**eholes. I work for a small firm on the railway, we are classed as key workers. The excuse is we need to maintain the railway to keep things moving etc.. (yet some of the jobs we are doing can easily be postponed, non critical works ). Anyway suddenly they say they will only pay on production hours only. So we normally get our 40 hours regardless but now if they have only a shift for us for one week we get paid 10 hours only for that week. They refuse to put people on furloughed. Scandalous, they will probably claim for us and not pass on the money.
What is your employment status as a matter of interest mate?
From https://www.acas.org.uk/lay-offs-and-short-time-working

Employees should get full pay during lay-offs or short-time working, unless:

• it's agreed otherwise
  • their contract allows unpaid or reduced pay
Guarantee pay
Employees who are laid off or put on short-time working are entitled to pay for days they do no work at all. This is called 'statutory guarantee pay' and is the legal minimum an employer must pay.

Employers might offer a better guarantee pay scheme. Employees should check their contract.

Just checked and I'm not entitled to it.

I assume mine & the Mrs wages take us above the eligibility threshold.

It may not be much but if you have paid NI contributions for the last 2 years and are now classed as unemployed I believe Contribution Based JSA should be applied for rather than UC if you fail the UC means test - for up to 6 months.

Worth a try, you can check on the Gov website.

I'm self employed sole trader with net profits well under 50k, tax returns always submitted.
With regards to receiving 80% in June backdated to March will I qualify as I have over 16k in the bank? Not seen anything to the contrary so far.
You should be OK as it’s based on reduced profits, not cash at bank.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.