Shay Given

Never comes for crosses and is poor at commanding the area in terms of organisation-Stuart Taylor on Sunday came out of his 6 yard box and actuall caught a cross, Given cant even do that inside the 6 yard box, that does not make Taylor better though.

Yes Given is a great shot stopper, but lets have it right-how many of those shots wouldnt happen in the first place if he would have come for the original cross???

And even when it bounces off his chest why cant he catch it instead of bouncing it back into open play where it could land anywhere???

Some fair points made. And so far good to see that there is no clown on the thread claiming that any valid criticism means you are slaughtering him or saying he isn't a good keeper.

For me, not only could his actions on the winning goal be considered but I also thought that he was far too slow off his line for the firstt goal when Giggs knocked it on after his first touch.

I haven't really seen replays of the goals so I stand to be corrected but my initial opinion was that many other keepers would have been out to smoother the ball much quicker and gathered it in whilst the geriatric Giggs was still labouring to catch it up - thus snuffing out the attack and not allowing him to take it wide.

completely agree on the shot stopping etc etc and he has won us games before but to add to the lack of command in his area you can add debatable positional sense too, for the second time this season at the swamp we have watched him watch the ball into his own net when he thought it was going wide which is completely unforgivable at this level. was fucking livid watching the replay of that in the pub last night.

his head also drops too which does the defence no favours, i was sat right behind him at the sunderland game and he was completely silent and as soon as they got back to 2-2 his head hit the floor totally and looked completely dissinterested. took a few of the crowd to start shouting at him to pick himself up but luckily bellamy sorted that out for him (until it was 3-3)

hope this is viewed as constructive cos i do love the guy and overall has been great for us

I thought his positional sense is one of the best parts of his game, you rarely see him leaping across the goal.

Not sure I agree with too much of this criticism, as Shay always seems to be one of the loudest and most authoritative on the pitch. There's a reason he's captain while Toure isn't around.

I agree that he has a thing about not coming for crosses, but if YOU had Richards, Boyata, and Kompany in front of you, using a zonal marking system, would you want to come for a cross?

agree I have been at it all season. Never caught a ball all season and his kicking is terrible never finds a city player and just keeps coming back

Damocles said:
And has saved us about 15 points on his own this season, just to add.

He will continue to save us more than he loses, and remember we have ten in front of him. I was brought up on Trautmann who, big bloke that he was, near commanded the penalty area, let alone the goal area. We had Harry Dowd for a spell and the difference was stark. The goalkeepers who can command their area tend to be 16 stones and 6ft5" ish. Anything less and you have to accommodate its lack by alternative means. But I agree with the posts, you cannot stay glued to the goal-line where the ball is pinging about the goal area. You have to get a glove in and put it away and then rely on your defence to clear.

JohnMaddocksAxe said:
Some fair points made. And so far good to see that there is no clown on the thread claiming that any valid criticism means you are slaughtering him or saying he isn't a good keeper.

For me, not only could his actions on the winning goal be considered but I also thought that he was far too slow off his line for the firstt goal when Giggs knocked it on after his first touch.

I haven't really seen replays of the goals so I stand to be corrected but my initial opinion was that many other keepers would have been out to smoother the ball much quicker and gathered it in whilst the geriatric Giggs was still labouring to catch it up - thus snuffing out the attack and not allowing him to take it wide.

100% agree re the first goal. When a team makes a fast break from deep it's essential that the keeper has a high starting position and potentially acts as sweeper. When Shrek got the ball around the half way line and hit it over to Giggs , Given should have been roughly penalty spot if not a little further to anticipate the long through ball. Giggs first touch wasn't great and the ball ran well into the area and Given came late from his line.

Yes he made some fantastic saves but that first goal was always going to be massive and I thought he simply got it wrong on this occasion.

which games do you get 15 points from? Thats nearly half what we got. I can think of more he has cost us and he is poor except from shot stopping. Rememeber Schmeikel saves at Liverpool for us and how he dominated the area Given not same class and is the reason we will not win anything again. Against Blackburn 20m times he kicked straight to them in a game we won easily. Bring Hart back please for next year

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.